Highlighted
pantuner Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Installation Issue - Console One - Citrix

I have an issue during the Groupwise install process that is 100% reproduceable on Citrix Xenserver.

I install SLES10.2 (32 bit) as a VM on Citrix XenServer, followed by OES2 (32-bit). The install of eDirectory goes without a problem, and I can connect to it using Console One (on the local machine).

When I start the Groupwise install, it goes fine up until the point when Groupwise fires up Console One in preparation for "Tools -> Create a new Groupwise System". At that point, Console One locks up completely. I have been through 4 complete installs of the OS and Groupwise and it happens every time.

However, If I use the exact same install media, and perform the installation on a VM running on the SLES 10.2 Xen hypervisor, the Groupwise install goes without incident.

I fully expect Novell to say "It's a Citrix problem", and the Citrix guys to say "It's a Novell problem", but in the meantime, I'd be interested in any insights into this issue that anyone may have.

Thanks

Steve

--- Steve Lawrie
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Installation Issue - Console One - Citrix

pantuner wrote:

>
> I have an issue during the Groupwise install process that is 100%
> reproduceable on Citrix Xenserver.
>
> I install SLES10.2 (32 bit) as a VM on Citrix XenServer, followed by
> OES2 (32-bit). The install of eDirectory goes without a problem, and
> I can connect to it using Console One (on the local machine).
>
> When I start the Groupwise install, it goes fine up until the point
> when Groupwise fires up Console One in preparation for "Tools ->
> Create a new Groupwise System". At that point, Console One locks up
> completely. I have been through 4 complete installs of the OS and
> Groupwise and it happens every time.

How about running a console one on a windows workstation with the gw8
snapins and then run the agent install afterwards ?

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
pantuner Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Edward,

I can absolutely find work arounds - if I kill the Console One process and restart it, it sometimes works, but eventually with enough cajoling and so on I can get Groupwise to install. That's not my point.

The issue is that Citrix XenServer and Novell OES2/SLES don't seem to play nicely together when it comes to Groupwise installs.

There have been other instances of Novell's products not running virtualized properly - e.g. 64bit NOWS SBE is not supported in a virtual environment, ZCM 10 was supported, then it wasn't, and now it is as of 10.1.x

If there is an issue with running OES2 in a virtual environment, there are far reaching implications for this, and I'd like to know before I suddenly find myself in a situation where its "no longer supported". If the Goupwise install process has a glitch, what other glitches are out there?

Steve

--- Steve Lawrie
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

pantuner wrote:

>
> Edward,
>
> I can absolutely find work arounds - if I kill the Console One process
> and restart it, it sometimes works, but eventually with enough
> cajoling and so on I can get Groupwise to install. That's not my
> point.
>
> The issue is that Citrix XenServer and Novell OES2/SLES don't seem to
> play nicely together when it comes to Groupwise installs.
>
> There have been other instances of Novell's products not running
> virtualized properly - e.g. 64bit NOWS SBE is not supported in a
> virtual environment, ZCM 10 was supported, then it wasn't, and now it
> is as of 10.1.x
>
> If there is an issue with running OES2 in a virtual environment, there
> are far reaching implications for this, and I'd like to know before I
> suddenly find myself in a situation where its "no longer supported".
> If the Goupwise install process has a glitch, what other glitches are
> out there?

I understand your concerns but unfortunately I can't give you any
answers 😞

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.