lpphiggp
Visitor.

Is NSS recommended for an MTA/GWIA or EXT3?

We're working on migrating our GroupWise 8 MTA/GWIA to GW2014, and also to new hardware.
The debate we're having is the the file system on the new box.
I don't see a need for NSS here, in fact the overhead would slow things down, but my boss is used to NSS and wants us to stay with it.
What's the consensus here?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Is NSS recommended for an MTA/GWIA or EXT3?

NSS works like a charm for me. Much easier for administration from a Windows box, plus you can make use of salvage in certain cases.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
lpphiggp
Visitor.

Someone also mentioned that you need a mapped drive for ConsoleOne. (Well, a UNC should work but many of our people are stuck with mapping)
0 Likes
mblackham Absent Member.
Absent Member.

But GW2014 is now ConsoleOne free.... Yippee

>>> lpphiggp<lpphiggp@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 10/27/2014 1:26 PM >>>

Someone also mentioned that you need a mapped drive for ConsoleOne.
(Well, a UNC should work but many of our people are stuck with mapping)

--
lpphiggp
------------------------------------------------------------------------
lpphiggp's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=58660
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=480111
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

lpphiggp;2337524 wrote:

I don't see a need for NSS here, in fact the overhead would slow things down, but my boss is used to NSS and wants us to stay with it.

There is no need for NSS nor OES, and IMO, it just adds heaps more code to what should be a lean and simple "appliance like" installation. We have been set up this way for 5+ years now. No issues. Most of the motivation behind shoving OES under it is to eliminate having to use a singular SAMBA share from the SLES servers hosting the agents. Other than purely contrived use cases for which NSS would be a "better" solution, I don't see the necessity for OES.

The performance of both EXT3 and NSS would be similar-ish.

With GW 2014 heading away from dependencies on "Novell Stuff" I would say keeping it on a pure SLES base is consistent with the overarching direction of the product.

So yes, your thinking is correct. And your boss might have reasons for OES too. But "much easier Administration?" We are talking about a single samba share here, not coding a missile defense system in assembler language.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Bob-O-Rama;2337596 wrote:
...The performance of both EXT3 and NSS would be similar-ish...

The topic these here is more the XFS vs NSS debate. But that is really only relevant for the PO's (with the many directories and files that can exponentially grow depending on use and set policies).
A thing that has always bugged me, is the ext3 check that periodically has to happen (not sensible to totally disable it). The amount of time it can take on a system with a large PO(and RA) before a the rebooted system can continue on to load it's services can be annoying (not speaking about the heard in your neck asking "is it up yet???").

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.