Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is anyone thinking of migrating away from Messenger?

Our organization has been on Messenger for a lot of years. I think nearly since it first came out. We still use GroupWise and Zen, but we are now an Active Directory shop. All our Blackberry's are gone and everyone uses iPhones. My users are asking me about mobile client for IM. I've put off adding 2 new divisions on the old Messenger server because I kept watching the roadmap thinking the new version was coming out. It has slipped a couple years now and I can't wait any longer.

What other enterprise level IM systems are out there? Of course, there's very little to no money for this project. I saw another post that said Cisco UCM bundles their Presence server and Jabber licenses. We have the same licensing, but I was never aware if that was bundled for us, we are checking into it now.

Are there any other's I should look at?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Is anyone thinking of migrating away from Messenger?

We also are in about the same situation. We have Cisco UCM and are looking at Migrating everyone over to Jabber.
Well actually not a migrating, just starting fresh on Jabber.
Currently we maintain a central contact list and only that list can use Messenger.
Keeping this contact list updated is a pain and then killing everyone to activate the change by stop/starting the service is not desirable.
I was hoping for a refresh of Messenger myself as well.

>>> plessm<plessm@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 8/12/2014 11:56 AM >>>

Our organization has been on Messenger for a lot of years. I think
nearly since it first came out. We still use GroupWise and Zen, but we
are now an Active Directory shop. All our Blackberry's are gone and
everyone uses iPhones. My users are asking me about mobile client for
IM. I've put off adding 2 new divisions on the old Messenger server
because I kept watching the roadmap thinking the new version was coming
out. It has slipped a couple years now and I can't wait any longer.

What other enterprise level IM systems are out there? Of course,
there's very little to no money for this project. I saw another post
that said Cisco UCM bundles their Presence server and Jabber licenses.
We have the same licensing, but I was never aware if that was bundled
for us, we are checking into it now.

Are there any other's I should look at?

--
plessm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
plessm's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=23126
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=478734
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Is anyone thinking of migrating away from Messenger?

Messenger with us never made it out of IT. going to replace it with Lync or whatever the outlook intergrated client is when we switch over to 365 next year
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.