Flakestar
Visitor.

Issues Backing up & Restoring using TSAFSGW

I have 3 servers, 1 NW5.1 SP8, 2 NW6.5 SP8, Groupwise 8.1 hot patch 1.

I am trying to implement the Groupwise backup using TSAFSGW using ARCserve 11.1 backup software. ARCserve is running on the 5.1 server and trying to backup a Groupwise system on the 6.5 server using TSAFS and ARCserve agents.

On the 6.5 server with Groupwise, I have changed TSAFS to use the switch /enableGW=yes. I have started TSAFSGW with a /Home for the PO and a /home for the domain. When I do so, Arcserve sees the PO and Domains and Libraries as Groupwise entities.

Issue 1

ARCserve sees the PO and domain and it appears that it was successfully backed it up (the correct number of files are written to the tape). However, during the backup, I receive the following errors, one for each Groupwise entity that I am attempting to backup:

Jun-12 15:25:00 1686.011 Failed to open temp file
15[DMS]lib000F:\00000821.FS 1, 98

Jun-12 15:25:05 1686.012 Failed to open temp file
16[DOM]DOMAIN:\00000821.FS 1, 98

Jun-12 15:25:08 1686.013 Failed to open temp file 1[PO]PO:\00000821.FS 1,

I have contacted CA about this and the .FS files are not part of their backup software. But, each time I attempt to do a Groupwise backup, I receive one of these errors with the same numeric name for each of the Groupwise entities I attempt to backup - different numerics for each job, but the same across all Groupwise entities being backed up per job.

What does this file do? What does this error mean? Is this error jeopardizing my backup?

Issue 2

When I do a restore, the restore seems to work properly in that all of the files are present in my restore area, approximately 60K files (same as were backed up). I set the restore area in Groupwise and I make me a user of the restore area. When I open my restored backup, all that I have are 2 emails and no sent mail. I didn’t look at my cabinets. I have hundreds of items in my mailbox and in my sent folder.

I ran GWCHECK on the restored database and it did recover mail from 5/28 thru 6/12 (the backup was performed on 6/12). However no sent mail was recovered, and no mail prior to 5/28 was recovered. Is it possible that only mail which is not in my online PO is shown in the backup because the email that I see recovered is all mail that I deleted from my online PO.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Issues Backing up & Restoring using TSAFSGW

To flakestar

>Is it possible
>that only mail which is not in my online PO is shown in the backup

Yep, that's the way it works - it will only show items that are in the
restore area that are no longer in the live system

To see the whole thing, you'd need to connect directly to the restore
area, either by the /ph- switch with the client if direct access is
permitted, or pointing a temporary poa at the restore area directories.

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0 Likes
Flakestar
Visitor.

Thanks Dave.

Do you know anything about the .FS files and what they are used for?

Maureen
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Not really, but I'm wondering if that 00000821 in your example would tie
up with the Arcserve job number. I've got a nagging feeling about AS job
detail files, the ones that get merged into the AS databases.

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
0 Likes
Flakestar
Visitor.

I also thought that the 0000821 was an Arcserve file, but CA says it isn't. My job numbers are in the 1600 range. The file naming convention is the same as CA uses for its temp catalog files. But CA says it doesn't know anything about it. It doesn't seem to affect the backup/restore, as every check that I have thought of seems to work, e.g. # files written (log), # files on tape, # files in Arcserve database, # files in the PO, restoring POs. But I am just concerned that when I really need to restore data that this error will prevent me from doing so.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

To flakestar

>The file naming
>convention is the same as CA uses for its temp catalog files.

That's what I thought I'd remembered <g>. When you look at the As Manager
restore section - can you see the backed up files in there OK.

Also, you say you are using the AS Agents on the Netware server. I never
bothered with them as they just seemed to be more trouble than they were
worth - maybe they are confusing things ?

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
0 Likes
Flakestar
Visitor.

Yes. When I restored to the restore area, all of the files were present, i.e. number of files backed up (from the backup job status log) is the number restored (from restore job status log) is the number of files in the restore directory. I can try the backup without the agents in a test backup and let you know the status. I won't be done until Monday.

Thanks for all of your help. I set my backup job to use the groupwise agents for tonight.

Maureen
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Seems to be working OK then. Be interesting to see if removing the
Arcserve agents make any difference.

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
0 Likes
Flakestar
Visitor.

When I unload the agent, I can't even pick the groupwise entities to back up using the manager. It keeps asking for me to login as the arcserve user since it cannot access the agent. My groupwise system is on a different server from where arcserve runs. I'm not sure how you are able to not use the agents. If you get a chance, let me know and I'll give a try.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Just for this test, try logging in as Admin or equivalent. That's all I
used to do

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.