Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Linux to Linux Migration Guide?

Hello All,

I am planning to move our GroupWise system from GW 8.0.3 on SLES 10/OES2 to GW 2012 SLES 11/OES11. I have found the guide for migrating using the migration utility or manually but this only covers moving from Network or Windows to Linux. I have also found the documentation on upgrading from GW 8 to 2012 but that is for an in place upgrade. I was trying to pull from both to write up a script of the process but started to wonder if making assumptions on how I think it should work given the two guides was a good idea.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide that covers moving from one Linux server to another and upgrading in the process? Maybe one of Danita's books if not a Novell one?

Thanks for any help,
Daniel
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Daniel,

Danita does have a book, Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise

http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=44&pr
oduct_id=53

Paul

>>> On 3/6/2014 at 8:06 PM, in message

<deejay33.6al2rz@no-mx.forums.novell.com>,
deejay33<deejay33@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am planning to move our GroupWise system from GW 8.0.3 on SLES 10/OES2
> to GW 2012 SLES 11/OES11. I have found the guide for migrating using
> the migration utility or manually but this only covers moving from
> Network or Windows to Linux. I have also found the documentation on
> upgrading from GW 8 to 2012 but that is for an in place upgrade. I was
> trying to pull from both to write up a script of the process but started
> to wonder if making assumptions on how I think it should work given the
> two guides was a good idea.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a guide that covers moving from one
> Linux server to another and upgrading in the process? Maybe one of
> Danita's books if not a Novell one?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Daniel

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

deejay33;2309740 wrote:
Hello All,

I am planning to move our GroupWise system from GW 8.0.3 on SLES 10/OES2 to GW 2012 SLES 11/OES11. I have found the guide for migrating using the migration utility or manually but this only covers moving from Network or Windows to Linux. I have also found the documentation on upgrading from GW 8 to 2012 but that is for an in place upgrade. I was trying to pull from both to write up a script of the process but started to wonder if making assumptions on how I think it should work given the two guides was a good idea.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide that covers moving from one Linux server to another and upgrading in the process? Maybe one of Danita's books if not a Novell one?

Hey Daniel,

The best guides I know of, would be from Danita.

Here's one that covers upgrading to 2012: http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=170

As far as moving the GroupWise bits to a new server, as you are already on Linux/OES, that's not really much more than copying over the GroupWise files and installing and reconfiguring the agents on the new Linux/OES server.

One thing to watch for is if you would be changing the filesystem (specifically going from NSS with a LONG namepsace - which is case insensitive, to a Linux format which is case sensitive. That might mean you will need to run a conversion with the dbcopy migration option).

Also make sure to have a look through Danita's main site, http://www.caledonia.net, as there is lots of good info there too.

I would recommend to open an SR with Novell before installing GroupWise 2012, as they have some post SP2 builds available for the server and client side that will save you some annoyances that you will otherwise encounter in the 2012 SP2 version that is found on the download site. Those post builds atm are only available through support, hence the need to open an SR to get it, and they are fully supported.

Wishing you a swift move & upgrade! 🙂

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Paul Lamontagne;2309769 wrote:
Daniel,

Danita does have a book, Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise

http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=44&pr
oduct_id=53

Paul

Hey Paul, that's true... The link you posted got truncated though. This one should work (webside): http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Paul and Willem,

Thank you for the link. That was exactly what I am looking for! I've purchased it and will give it a read this weekend.

Best regards,
Daniel Joaquin
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanks Willem

and I spoke with Danita...There will be an updatyed version for 2o14, once
we finish writing the upgrade guide(in-place upgrade) we will update the
migration guide..

>>> On 3/6/2014 at 11:46 PM, in message

<magic31.6alcyp@no-mx.forums.novell.com>,
magic31<magic31@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Paul Lamontagne;2309769 Wrote:
>> Daniel,
>>
>> Danita does have a book, Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise
>>
>>

>

http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=44&p

> r
>> oduct_id=53
>>
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>

>
> Hey Paul, that's true... The link you posted got truncated though.
> This one should work (webside):
> http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&product

> _id=53
>
> Cheers,
> Willem

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2309777 wrote:
Hey Daniel,

The best guides I know of, would be from Danita.

Here's one that covers upgrading to 2012: http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=170

As far as moving the GroupWise bits to a new server, as you are already on Linux/OES, that's not really much more than copying over the GroupWise files and installing and reconfiguring the agents on the new Linux/OES server.

One thing to watch for is if you would be changing the filesystem (specifically going from NSS with a LONG namepsace - which is case insensitive, to a Linux format which is case sensitive. That might mean you will need to run a conversion with the dbcopy migration option).

Also make sure to have a look through Danita's main site, http://www.caledonia.net, as there is lots of good info there too.

I would recommend to open an SR with Novell before installing GroupWise 2012, as they have some post SP2 builds available for the server and client side that will save you some annoyances that you will otherwise encounter in the 2012 SP2 version that is found on the download site. Those post builds atm are only available through support, hence the need to open an SR to get it, and they are fully supported.

Wishing you a swift move & upgrade! 🙂

Cheers,
Willem

What sort of issues?
are these GWIA related issues ?

message delivered (received by recipient) but still showing BOLD in sent items?
missing emails - Transferred but seems not to have gone (not received by recipient) ?
random gwdom unable to deliver message - but sending again goes out ?
undelivered pop sent messages even with retry set to 5 / 15 mins ... but manual send / receive will send ?

GWIA stop processing but simple restart of GWIA not enough - I found rcgrpwise stop .... wait a few mins (>3 mins)and rcgrpwise start - now that's disruptive !

Some of these are on going since October 2013

So far I managed to set an updated client only!

seems like a hell of of little bugs for things that should have worked 20 years ago!!!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

bhrt60;2310030 wrote:
What sort of issues?

missing emails - Transferred but seems not to have gone (not received by recipient) ?
random gwdom unable to deliver message - but sending again goes out ?
undelivered pop sent messages even with retry set to 5 / 15 mins ... but manual send / receive will send ?

GWIA stop processing but simple restart of GWIA not enough - I found rcgrpwise stop .... wait a few mins (>3 mins)and rcgrpwise start - now that's disruptive !

Some of these are on going since October 2013

Honestly, no... most of the issues I personally encountered are on the client side. And there the most prominent one was an issue with the multi calendar preview.

For the server side there are a couple of fixes that address stability and fix some errors that might pop up when clients try to open a particular mail item. I still have many sites running 2012 "stock" SP2 on the server, and they are running without complaints.

From the errors you mention, I'd be thinking of configuration or database issues in your specific environment.

More detail on your environment, starting with the details of the server(s) your GroupWise system is running on, would be good (things like, OS, version & patch level, how many servers and where are agents running). When doing so, please post a new thread for it so others can also chime in with ideas and suggestions to help fix issues.

bhrt60;2310030 wrote:
So far I managed to set an updated client only!

You mean you are running all server agents on GW 2012 "stock" SP2, but have gotten a post 2012 SP2 client pushed out to the workstations?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bhrt60;2310030 wrote:
What sort of issues?

Since you mention POP also in your message, it's quite possible that the first one here (bolded in sent items) could be related. Messages that are sent via SMTP and not directly through the GW client have no way of being tracked, and often remain bolded in the sent items.

As for the second, transferred means that the GWIA has handed the message "to the next hop" and at that point the GroupWise system has no control over what has happened. If you are seeing a transferred message, then GroupWise is "working" and there is nothing more you can do from a GroupWise perspective (and you cannot blame GroupWise for any message that shows transferred not reaching the destination). However, if you are using a relay host (maybe a firewall at your own site), you could look there. Barring that, once a message is transferred it is always the "next hop server" that needs to be checked. Unless you are sending out through a smart host, it's out of your hands. But at that point it's definitely out of GroupWise's hands!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey Daniel,

I hope to update it at some point, but the concepts in it are definitely still the same! I think it was written about GW 8 timeframe. Contact me directly (there's a contact form at my website at www.caledonia.net) if you run into snags.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.