Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

MTA Folder 6 under mslocal keeps growing

Good morning

It has been reported that there is a MTA seeing an issue with constantly filling up on space since the top/down rebuild was performed last night , the administrator checked the location this morning and it appeared to be running normally but then he noticed that it was running out of space, the Domain is Fxx, the "mslocal/mshold/bopffld/6"  folder had 19 GB of messages. The administrator copied the 6 folder to the Cxx volume and removed the 6 folder from the MTA path. Started the MTA Service and it is filling up again.

What might be causing this folder to constantly fill up? 

Thank you, for any assistance offered 

-Daniel
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Folder 6 stands for mail with low priority.

And there is a connection problem to mslocal/mshold/bopffld/6. Maybe these three letters are enough to find out where the connection should end. Otherwise you have to open a file mtaname in mslocal/mshold/bopffld to get the target name.

However such a use of a low priority mail  directory is unusual. Do these mails there waiting for transfer have nearly the same size?

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

By definition the 6 folder would be for outbound low priority messages.  Are the files all the same size?

If you can grab a sample message, zip it, and send it to me here: bworkman@microfocus.com  I'll see if I can pull any data out of it.  Might give a clue to the root cause of the problem.

Bert

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good day 

We're trying to gather some of the files at this point, and once I have them I'll send them over to you 

Thank you, 

-Daniel 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good morning 

The heart of the issue, could have been caused by our performing a top/down rebuild during the User Move process (the User in question was a very large mailbox) and because the Owning Domain and Post Office for the User move was shutdown and rebuilt during the move it might have caused the User move to revert to moving through the system instead of the Post Office. At this time, the MTA has remained stable in size, so we're next going to be addressing the User Move itself, and hopefully there will be a successful move at this stage. 

Thank you, 

-Daniel  

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

🙈   bad timing

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good day, 

Quite the understatement 🤔🙈

Thank you for the smile as it was indeed needed. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.