Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MTA shows external domain as closed

A while back I set up a few external domains for GWMonitor to use as logging and performance testing. (it sends the gwia log to that external domain .. or something..)
The whole setup is a bit sketchy but it seems to have stopped working at some point in the past but I only just noticed it after installing gw14Sp2 as we don't check it that often.

From what I can tell an external domain is just a virtual entity with no active MTA so I'm not entirely sure why it isn't working. A 2nd external domain is listed as open. I'm just not sure how it is supposed to work with GWMon using it. It closes the domain because there is obviously nothing listening on the designated port, or should external domains be pointing to the normal MTA port ?
We only have a single MTA/POA setup for roughly 250 users so I never really tinkered with multiple domains.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: MTA shows external domain as closed

In article <Conz.7302jz@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Conz wrote:
> From what I can tell an external domain is just a virtual entity with no
> active MTA so I'm not entirely sure why it isn't working.

Well it all comes down to how Monitor is set to see the domain, so the
first step is to look at what Monitor is looking for. If you click on the
status for the Monitored object, you will see how it is addressing the
object in question.
Way back before TCP/IP made it to our Personal Computer based world, the
message flow as largely run by copying files to specific locations and
much of that structure is still in place on GroupWise, but I can see those
parts getting pruned when they get out of the way as the product evolves.
So what you see for the address for that closed object will help us guide
you further.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you created an external domain for Monitor to be looking at, this is indeed a virtual domain. However, if over time you have reconfigured Monitor, and no longer have this domain "active" on the Monitor server, then it will show as closed. It looks like this in the preferences settings

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dzanre;2413239 wrote:
If you created an external domain for Monitor to be looking at, this is indeed a virtual domain. However, if over time you have reconfigured Monitor, and no longer have this domain "active" on the Monitor server, then it will show as closed. It looks like this in the preferences settings

This ended up being something weird with the monitor version we had, after getting a slightly newer version from support it worked normally again.
The root cause was that when the MTA actually connected to the monitor port the monitor would crash and restart with its port set back to 0.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.