dcbib Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Mails with p7m-encryption

We are beginning to receive mails with a smime.p7m encryption.

My GW client can't open them, but states we are missing a encryption key.

But the sender says, it should open like a regular mail, unless we have an old certificate installed on the PC.

I have tried to open it on a completely clean PC (Win7), but I still get the error.

Is there a setting somewhere in GroupWise, that will allow me to open these mails?

Tkanks

Jens Jakob

Dansk Centralbibliotek
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Mails with p7m-encryption

On 10.01.2019 12:15, Jens Jakob Sørensen wrote:
>
> We are beginning to receive mails with a smime.p7m encryption.
>
> My GW client can't open them, but states we are missing a encryption key.
>
> But the sender says, it should open like a regular mail, unless we have an old certificate installed on the PC.

The sender is wrong. Groupwise supports S-Mime, but sender and
receipient have to exchange keys/certificates first.

Here's the docs:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gw18_guide_userwin/data/email_sending.html#email_sending_securemessages

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

The sender has to encrypt the message with YOUR public key, you decrypt it with your private key. So the sender needs to have your (valid) public key, and your private key has to be available on the WS you're running GW on. Chances are low that your private key magically made it to a clean PC.
0 Likes
dcbib Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Svar: Re: Mails with p7m-encryption

That's what I thought, and thanks for confirming this.

I expect a nightmare when/if more and more public institutions start to use encrypted mail.

Jens Jakob, Dansk Centralbibliotek
0 Likes
gotthardanger Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello,

Same problem here.

Against the valuable contributor Massimo we found it´s a problem on client site.

Same sender, different recipients all working gw 2014 r2 sp3 client: some get a correct mail, displayed as signed and containing attachments.

Other recipients found in mailbox the mail only without the signs fo signing and attachment. However, if they open this mail, an attachment named "smime.p7m" is shown. If this attachment will stored on harddisk named "smime.eml", groupwise can open this file and shows correct content including attachments.

So we are in research, because the groupwise client will not recognize the signing certificate.

Gotthard

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.