Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Merge GW client with cache into existing GroupWise system

Case :

I have an existing GroupWise 2014 (14.2.1) Client with a cached mailbox.
It was disconnected from it's original POA (and will never be connected again).

In the remote modus the cached mail is still accessible. Using a additional POP connection for the time being, and that works fine.

I Would very much much like to connect to another GroupWise2014R2sp1 system (which holds a user with the same username but a different FID), without loosing my precious local GW cached mail.

So the local cached mail should be uploaded /merged into the existing system.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Eric
Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Eric,

The user in the live system with the same name but different FID - is it possible to delete and recreate that user with a matching FID of the "old" user or is this account actively used?

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hello Laura,

Thanks for the quick response, must be about 5 minutes or so, guess were in the same time zone :-).

I have thought of that. I could recreate the user, manipulate the FID to match the cached mailbox user.

Problem is that I then will end up with 2 GroupWise user accounts. The online existing user holds a lot of mail as well. Ideally the mailboxes should be merged. But maybe the best first step is to create 2 mailboxes (at least they will be on the same system) and then export/import archiving merge the mail?Would that work, as the FID's would not match.

Again thanks !
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Eric,

I've given your situation some careful thought. This is what I would do in your situation.

Create a complete backup of the caching mailbox for safety sake
Open the caching mailbox and create an archive.
Archive absolutely everything
Create a new user in your GroupWise system with the same FID as the user with the caching mailbox
Login as this new user and unarchve all the mail
So now all the mail is in your GroupWise system
At this point you will have two accounts.
Create a folder in the mailbox that you have just unarchive all the mail to. Move all the mail/folders/subfolder into this one folder.
Share this folder with the existing user in your system.
Ensure that this user accepts the share and can access all the mail.
Then, transfer ownership of the shared folder from the account that had the cache mailbox across to the account you wish to merge with.
Accept ownership transfer.
Now the user has ownership of the folder and can access all the mail.
Next remove the share from the folder.

At this point all mail should be in the one account.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hello Laura,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Looks promising. I will try the solution in a few days as I have some obligations elsewhere in the coming days.

Will keep you posted about the results, again thanks!

Eric
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Eric,

I neglected to give you this: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014868 Instructions on how to create a new user with a specific FID. I trust that you find this useful.

Looking forward to hearing back from you on how this works out for you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

laurabuckley;2446289 wrote:
Hi Eric,

I neglected to give you this: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014868 Instructions on how to create a new user with a specific FID. I trust that you find this useful.

Looking forward to hearing back from you on how this works out for you.

Cheers,

Thank you !

Have been busy with other things than my own IT setup but will use these days to realize the new GroupWise setup.

Now the first question is a simple one.. where to find the current FID in the cached client ? I am looking for the "ofxxxarc" structure where xxx is equal to the current FID, but cannot find it in the local setup. Again I can no longer access its original POA server and server so I will have find in the local setup up. Was expecting just to rightclick the notify ico, but its not there. I have a local archive backup, but its not there either. So stuck before I have even started..
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

If you open the GroupWise client as the "caching" user and click on Help | About GroupWise it should give you the FID there.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hi,

in the caching mode (as well as in the remote mode) is displays the following:

C:\users\....\eric\gwstrzvf

So expecting a 3 letter FID; str or zvf ? Or is a 6 letter FID ?

Thanks
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Eric,

Open the GroupWise client. Click on Help on the toolbar at the top. Click on About GroupWise. A new screen will display information about the GroupWise install and the user logged in. There is a field named FID. That is the 3 character alphanumeric FID of the user.

The file path of a caching mailbox won't give you the FID as it can be named anything.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

laurabuckley;2447256 wrote:
Hi Eric,

Open the GroupWise client. Click on Help on the toolbar at the top. Click on About GroupWise. A new screen will display information about the GroupWise install and the user logged in. There is a field named FID. That is the 3 character alphanumeric FID of the user.

The file path of a caching mailbox won't give you the FID as it can be named anything.

Cheers,

Hello Laura,

Well, I have a dutch client here, and there is just no FID mentioned.

I have : programma versie / Buildnummer /Geïnstalleerde talen / gebruikersnaam /Postkantoor / Pad naar Postkantoor.

I'm sure it was there in previous versions, but in this version it was removed I guess.

Is it not some where else to find?

Thanks again.

Eric
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Eric,

Gosh, sorry, I've only just noticed that the FID is only shown in Online Mode.

Work around... create an archive path, point it to some easy location to get to e.g. C:\Archive\ Archive one message. In Windows Explorer go to the Archive folder and you will see a new folder has been created... ofxxxarc the xxx is the user FID

Please give that a try.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.