rbarber1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Message Status - Undeliverable

I received a Messages Status - Undeliverable email from our GroupWise 2014 system. I've included a sample of the error details below; with personal info changed. The message said Response: 550 Denied! reverse DNS lookup failed. Essentially, one of our users sent an email to a particular person outside our organization and their email server bounced the email back to us due to reverse DNS lookup failure. I checked our reverse DNS record at our ISP and it is, in fact, setup properly. Additionally, we do not normally have any issues with sending emails outside our organization. I did some reading on the Internet about this issue and I read that some people report that if the domain in the email's Message-Id is different than the sender's email address, this can sometimes result in a reverse DNS lookup failure. Our Message-Id does show our old domain name.
I looked in the settings for our GWIA and I do see our old domain name in Hostname/DNS "A record" name:. I am thinking of changing this to our new domain name, because I suspect this will change the domain in the Message-Id in our outgoing emails to our new domain. Which, in theory should eliminate this issue that we are having sending emails to this one person. As a result, my questions are as follows:

1.) Will changing the Hostname/DNS "A record" name: in my GWIA to our new domain name solve the problem that I am having?
2.) Is there any chance that making this change to my GWIA will break our GroupWise system's ability to send/receive emails to the Internet, or otherwise break our GroupWise system?

Transcript of session follows:
Command: clarstate.com
Response: 550 Denied! 28.153.107.19 reverse DNS lookup failed

Received: from unitma-MTA by mail.unit.tec.pa.us
with Novell_GroupWise; Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:45:47 -0400
Message-Id: <5450B73E0200003F00024404@mail.unit.tec.pa.us>
X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 14.0.0
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:45:34 -0400
To: <info@clarstate.com>
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Message Status - Undeliverable

Hi

I do believe that the "Hostname/DNS" setting must specify the fully qualified Internet hostname of the server where the GWIA runs, such as gwia.example.com - and this information must be accurate/correct.

I don't foresee any problems with you correcting this information on your GWIA, only fixing the problem that you are experiencing.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.