danw-mhtn
New Member.

Messenger 3.0 and updating vs. migrating

We are a small shop (70 users) and currently have Messenger 2.2 running on our GroupWise (GW 2014 sp1 running on virtualized OES 11 sp2) server. With the release ov Messenger 3.0 and the advent of the messenger mobile clients, we will probably want Messenger accessible from outside the corporate network.

I have a series of questions:

1. Would it be better to migrate to a new server /VM?

2. Will there be any port conflicts between webaccess and Messenger?

3. What ports will need to be opened in the firewall for external mobile clients to access the messenger server?

Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
DanPearson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Messenger 3.0 and updating vs. migrating

We're about the same setup and have GW 2014 and Messenger running on the same server. It doesn't really take a lot of resources for our size shop as long as you have a decent hardware running it. I believe the only port required for Messenger to be passed through the firewall is 8300. There isn't any conflict between web mail and Messenger, they use different ports.

The upgrade to 3.0 was a bit of an adventure though. First the upgrade.sh script kept bombing out so we had the files copied over but the settings weren't completely updating. The text display of the script wasn't showing correctly so I wasn't getting some of the eDirectory objects entered correctly. Then there were issues with it running as a local user. We had to copy all the files from our nss volume to a local folder and reconfigure everything. It's working fine now but it took a couple days to get everything ironed out.

Dan Pearson
0 Likes
warper2
New Member.

DanPearson wrote:

>
> We're about the same setup and have GW 2014 and Messenger running on the
> same server. It doesn't really take a lot of resources for our size shop
> as long as you have a decent hardware running it. I believe the only
> port required for Messenger to be passed through the firewall is 8300.
> There isn't any conflict between web mail and Messenger, they use
> different ports.
>
> The upgrade to 3.0 was a bit of an adventure though. First the
> upgrade.sh script kept bombing out so we had the files copied over but
> the settings weren't completely updating. The text display of the script
> wasn't showing correctly so I wasn't getting some of the eDirectory
> objects entered correctly. Then there were issues with it running as a
> local user. We had to copy all the files from our nss volume to a local
> folder and reconfigure everything. It's working fine now but it took a
> couple days to get everything ironed out.
>
> Dan Pearson
>
>

I have just did an upgrade that the services were running in a clustered
solution. The install was not smart enough to pick that up. Had to copy the
config files from the nss volume to the /etc path that it wanted. Than the
agents did start and all was well. It seemed so much cleaner for the install
with 2.x and especially upgrades. Its not the end of the world if the conf
file needs to be local on the servers but not the ideal solution for
clustering when it comes time to make changes

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

We are running Messenger and GroupWise WebAcces on the same server with zero conflicts. The only port that needs to be open for messenger to work is 8300.

We've found that making Messenger available for our customers out on the internet VERY useful.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.