Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1044 views

Messenger eats memory

I have a decently sized dell poweredge 4600 server (P4 1Ghz with 1Gb
of
memory) running NW6SP3, messenger and a couple of other things like
DHCP and
DNS. I have been running messenger for about two weeks now with no
problems
but since I decided to populate the default contact list with all our
staff
in relevant departmental folders, about 800 all together, the
messenger
agent crashes the server after about 10 minutes. I've watched remotemanager during this ten minutes and the memory free level drops
gradually
from 600Mb free to 0Mb and the processor util levels out at 100% at
which
point the server stops responding. Am I doing something wrong? Can I

configure virtual memory to cope with this demand? Is there any other
to
ensure that staff get a default contact list?

--
Matt Hudson,
Principle Network and Communications Officer,
Burnley Borough Council.
CNA 6/5/4, CNE 5/4.





Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Messenger eats memory

Matt,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response
to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated
reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the
following options:

- Do a search of our knowledgebase at
http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp
- Check all of the other support tools and options available at
http://support.novell.com in both the "free product support" and "paid
product support" drop down boxes.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is
posted in the correct newsgroup. (http://support.novell.com/forums)

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept
our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our
posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/





0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Messenger eats memory

Same here, I had the same thought that populating the contact list
would
be a good idea. I was going to call support on this until I figured
out
the problem.

I don't believe that adding your users to the contact list should
cause
the server to die.

I found a TID referring to GW Messenger 1.0 Sp1, I wasn't able to find
it
on Novell's download site.



> I have a decently sized dell poweredge 4600 server (P4 1Ghz with 1Gb

of
> memory) running NW6SP3, messenger and a couple of other things like

DHCP
and
> DNS. I have been running messenger for about two weeks now with no


problems
> but since I decided to populate the default contact list with all

our
staff
> in relevant departmental folders, about 800 all together, the

messenger
> agent crashes the server after about 10 minutes. I've watched

remote
> manager during this ten minutes and the memory free level drops

gradually
> from 600Mb free to 0Mb and the processor util levels out at 100% at

which
> point the server stops responding. Am I doing something wrong? Can

I
> configure virtual memory to cope with this demand? Is there any

other to
> ensure that staff get a default contact list?
>
> --
> Matt Hudson,
> Principle Network and Communications Officer,
> Burnley Borough Council.
> CNA 6/5/4, CNE 5/4.
>
>





0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Messenger eats memory

Thanks for the reply, did you find a resolution to your problem?

<wes@gocolumbiamo.com> wrote in message
news:YMWRa.18344$2k7.16847@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Same here, I had the same thought that populating the contact list

would
> be a good idea. I was going to call support on this until I figured

out
> the problem.
>
> I don't believe that adding your users to the contact list should

cause
> the server to die.
>
> I found a TID referring to GW Messenger 1.0 Sp1, I wasn't able to

find it
> on Novell's download site.
>
>
>
> > I have a decently sized dell poweredge 4600 server (P4 1Ghz with

1Gb of
> > memory) running NW6SP3, messenger and a couple of other things

like DHCP
> and
> > DNS. I have been running messenger for about two weeks now with

no
> problems
> > but since I decided to populate the default contact list with all

our
> staff
> > in relevant departmental folders, about 800 all together, the

messenger
> > agent crashes the server after about 10 minutes. I've watched

remote
> > manager during this ten minutes and the memory free level drops

gradually
> > from 600Mb free to 0Mb and the processor util levels out at 100%

at
which
> > point the server stops responding. Am I doing something wrong?

Can I
> > configure virtual memory to cope with this demand? Is there any

other
to
> > ensure that staff get a default contact list?
> >
> > --
> > Matt Hudson,
> > Principle Network and Communications Officer,
> > Burnley Borough Council.
> > CNA 6/5/4, CNE 5/4.
> >
> >

>






0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Messenger eats memory

Not yet.... I removed the pre-populated entries and everything is
fine, I
plan to open a issue with Novell as soon as I get further into our
deployment as today is the big day for our group and I am waiting to
see if
anything bigger comes up.

Every stop to think and forget to start again?



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Messenger eats memory

All the time!

"Wes Myers" <Wes@GoColumbiaMO.com> wrote in message
news:y3XSa.19603$2k7.10955@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Not yet.... I removed the pre-populated entries and everything is

fine, I
> plan to open a issue with Novell as soon as I get further into our
> deployment as today is the big day for our group and I am waiting to

see
if
> anything bigger comes up.
>
> Every stop to think and forget to start again?






0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.