Highlighted
New Member.
1283 views

Messenger install using Zenworks

Has anyone gotten Zenworks to deploy using bundles in Zenworks? Ive built apps before for older versions of messenger and they work today, but when I build the 2018 messenger bundle, it copies the files correctly, but will not kick off the exe install. I can run it manually on the device and it installs fine, but I cant get Zenworks to kick it off the setup.exe. Both instances below are set to run as system secure user. Our users arent admins and we enable UAC. In either case below, I cant get the .exe to launch and install. The documentation for building the Zenworks app is not good at all.

Ive tried Launch Executable
Command = C:\FVBZW\GWM18\win32\Setup.exe
Working Directory = C:\FVBZW\GWM18\win32\

AND

Run Script
Define your own script
C:\FVBZW\GWM18\win32\Setup.exe
Script file ext = .bat
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Messenger install using Zenworks

jonesas;2488578 wrote:
Has anyone gotten Zenworks to deploy using bundles in Zenworks? Ive built apps before for older versions of messenger and they work today, but when I build the 2018 messenger bundle, it copies the files correctly, but will not kick off the exe install. I can run it manually on the device and it installs fine, but I cant get Zenworks to kick it off the setup.exe. Both instances below are set to run as system secure user. Our users arent admins and we enable UAC. In either case below, I cant get the .exe to launch and install. The documentation for building the Zenworks app is not good at all.

Ive tried Launch Executable
Command = C:\FVBZW\GWM18\win32\Setup.exe
Working Directory = C:\FVBZW\GWM18\win32\

AND

Run Script
Define your own script
C:\FVBZW\GWM18\win32\Setup.exe
Script file ext = .bat


How does your setup.cfg look like, if you run as secure system user then you need to set HideAllDialogs=Yes?

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/messenger18_admin/data/am3a3gb.html#am3a5ng

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Messenger install using Zenworks

Jonesas,

> Has anyone gotten Zenworks to deploy using bundles in Zenworks? Ive
> built apps before for older versions of messenger and they work today,
> but when I build the 2018 messenger bundle, it copies the files
> correctly, but will not kick off the exe install. I can run it manually
> on the device and it installs fine, but I cant get Zenworks to kick it
> off the setup.exe. Both instances below are set to run as system secure
> user. Our users arent admins and we enable UAC. In either case below,
> I cant get the .exe to launch and install. The documentation for
> building the Zenworks app is not good at all.


Unfortunately at this time, installing the Messenger client via ZEN is not
supported. We have one customer who found that if he changed the
EnableLangDlg=Y line in the setup.ini file from Y to N it would work for
him but that is only a workaround. If this doesn't work for you, you will
have to install each client manually.

Support for the install via ZEN is on the roadmap however it has not yet
been implemented.

Pam

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Re: Messenger install using Zenworks

probello;2488638 wrote:
Jonesas,

> Has anyone gotten Zenworks to deploy using bundles in Zenworks? Ive
> built apps before for older versions of messenger and they work today,
> but when I build the 2018 messenger bundle, it copies the files
> correctly, but will not kick off the exe install. I can run it manually
> on the device and it installs fine, but I cant get Zenworks to kick it
> off the setup.exe. Both instances below are set to run as system secure
> user. Our users arent admins and we enable UAC. In either case below,
> I cant get the .exe to launch and install. The documentation for
> building the Zenworks app is not good at all.


Unfortunately at this time, installing the Messenger client via ZEN is not
supported. We have one customer who found that if he changed the
EnableLangDlg=Y line in the setup.ini file from Y to N it would work for
him but that is only a workaround. If this doesn't work for you, you will
have to install each client manually.

Support for the install via ZEN is on the roadmap however it has not yet
been implemented.

Pam


That customer was me. And Ive found another issue where it wont install over an existing instance of Messeger on client PCs silently. Installing each client manually is not possible with 500 client machines. This should be resolvable. I am working with support now, but its not a ZEN issue or the fact I am using ZEN. All ZEN is doing is copying the install directories to the local drive and then launching setup.exe. Same as if I copied them manually and manually ran setup.exe. Ive modified the setup.cfg files to allow silent installs. Will update further once Ive worked with support.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Messenger install using Zenworks

Jonesas,

> That customer was me. And Ive found another issue where it wont install
> over an existing instance of Messeger on client PCs silently. Installing
> each client manually is not possible with 500 client machines. This
> should be resolvable. I am working with support now, but its not a ZEN
> issue or the fact I am using ZEN. All ZEN is doing is copying the
> install directories to the local drive and then launching setup.exe.
> Same as if I copied them manually and manually ran setup.exe. Ive
> modified the setup.cfg files to allow silent installs. Will update
> further once Ive worked with support.


Gotcha. I didn't realize that. I will go ahead and leave you in Alex's
capable hands but keep in mind that he may not be able to go much farther
with you on this as it's not a supported install method and we will not be
able to engage engineering.

Thanks,

Pam

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.