Highlighted
mdelport2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrate Users Email out of Groupwise 8

We have an user who is moving departments and requires their old email going forward. The new department is running Exchange/Outlook and we're running Groupwise so we need a way to get their email out of Groupwise into some form that can either be viewed without any connection to our Groupwise server or directly imported into a third party application such as Thunderbird. I know there's a way to archive Groupwise mail to disk but doesn't that still require the Groupwise client connected to the server to view? There was a tool called GWSave for Groupwise 7 but the link is dead so I couldn't try it and see if it would work. Some searching around has found some tools for migration but they seem to focused primarily on moving users en mass; we simply have a single user that needs to be moved. Has anyone used anything before, anything positive to say or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Migrate Users Email out of Groupwise 8

Hi,

In this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/478171-Export-to-PST-file?p=2325449#post2325449

Bob-O-Rama makes a good suggestion - perhaps check it out.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
mdelport2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2326797 wrote:
Hi,

In this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/478171-Export-to-PST-file?p=2325449#post2325449

Bob-O-Rama makes a good suggestion - perhaps check it out.

Cheers,

Thanks for the link! The product definitely looks like it could do what we want, unfortunately for a single user we can't warrant the cost; maybe if we migrated off Novell one day. Thanks again though.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mdelport2;2326677 wrote:
We have an user who is moving departments and requires their old email going forward. The new department is running Exchange/Outlook and we're running Groupwise so we need a way to get their email out of Groupwise into some form that can either be viewed without any connection to our Groupwise server or directly imported into a third party application such as Thunderbird. I know there's a way to archive Groupwise mail to disk but doesn't that still require the Groupwise client connected to the server to view? There was a tool called GWSave for Groupwise 7 but the link is dead so I couldn't try it and see if it would work. Some searching around has found some tools for migration but they seem to focused primarily on moving users en mass; we simply have a single user that needs to be moved. Has anyone used anything before, anything positive to say or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe connect an Outlook 2010/2013 client to GroupWise using IMAP. Then either only let the Outlook client cache the needed folders, or copy contents of each folder to a PST file.

Probably a bit tedious depending on how large the GroupWise mailbox is... but for a one off I'd think doable.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
mdelport2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2326942 wrote:
Maybe connect an Outlook 2010/2013 client to GroupWise using IMAP. Then either only let the Outlook client cache the needed folders, or copy contents of each folder to a PST file.

Probably a bit tedious depending on how large the GroupWise mailbox is... but for a one off I'd think doable.

Cheers,
Willem

Oddly enough I was thinking if that would work last night too. It probably would if we enable IMAP. Biggest issue would be the users 25 GB mailbox size...
0 Likes
mdelport2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For those that are interested, we are giving Transend Migrator a try, it's cheap and seems to be comprehensive in what it can do.

Thank for all the help!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.