Commander
Commander

Migrate to GroupWise 18 from GW 2012

Jump to solution

I'm looking for moving from GW 2012 to GW 18.
My actual environment is OES 2015 and GW 2012 (all GW services on the same server).
My intention, if possible, is to install a new OES 2018, install GW 18, and move GW DB using dbcopy, reconfigure GW 18 for the new domain and post office folders.

Does this is possible?
I've found that the documentation is very poor, at least for me.

Two more questions.
If I've understood, GW 18 doesn't store users in eDirectory, where they are stored?
And can I move on an OES on a different eDirectory tree?

Thanks,
Fabrizio

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Commander
Commander

The migration was done.

As stated I’ve found the documentation not easily useful and dispersive (maybe my bad English), but reading some documents, asking this forum, and made tests on a separate environment I done it, so now I'm reporting the main steps, maybe this helps some other.

My case was a simple installation with all GW components on the same server.

One of the first focus was to understand that users are not more strictly joined on eDirectory, and a conversion process needed.
The second was to understand if in place an update was needed before migration to another server.

In my case, I've migrated directly to a new server and the old server IP is not be migrated, the new one has a new IP.

After all, everything is relatively simple.
Those are the steps.

Install GW 18 components on the new server without any configuration.

Migrate all domain and post office files to the new server using dbcopy utility (or any other method, but must be sure that the names of the files are in lowercase).

Run configuration (starting with install procedure or via web admin-console/install). Select the menu 'upgrade domain or post office'. Add a domain pointing the path of the copied domain folder. Pay attention to the IP address, must be the new one. Do the same with the post office. Next and, last, finish at every request. This operation migrates to a new DB schema and starts the main GW services.

Now all final configurations are done via the web admin console.
Check carefully all IPs address. In my case, some are not changed with the previous step. Useful, for the check are the consoles of any single service. In my case, for example, the MTP receive status showed the old address but the send was OK.

Last, I've generated all certificates form the admin console, next I'll substitute them with my own.

I had a problem with MTA SSL Certificates, not jet well understood why. I've solved with Microfocus support (thank @laurabuckley).

That's all. I have some other minor tasks to do, like upgrade client and similar, but all seems working fine.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@restori wrote:

I'm looking for moving from GW 2012 to GW 18.
My actual environment is OES 2015 and GW 2012 (all GW services on the same server).
My intention, if possible, is to install a new OES 2018, install GW 18, and move GW DB using dbcopy, reconfigure GW 18 for the new domain and post office folders.

Does this is possible?
I've found that the documentation is very poor, at least for me.

Does this help?

GroupWise Migrations – A Better Way

If I've understood, GW 18 doesn't store users in eDirectory, where they are stored?

It doesn't need eDirectory but it can use eDirectory just like it always has. If you don't use eDirectory or AD that information is kept in GroupWise.

And can I move on an OES on a different eDirectory tree?

Yes.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Commander
Commander
Thank KBOYLE for your reply.
I've already read the document, and I've found it not fully useful.

As a test, I've copied the domain and post office db on an OES 2018, on different eDirectory. On the new server I don't have any users 😞 (this is why my question about users), and I'm not able to find the mistake.

Fabrizio
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Where do you see "no users"?

A migration of this kind will NOT create users in the new eDirectory tree, so you won't magically see objects in iManager which haven't existed before.

You should, however, see all GW accounts in the GroupWise Admin Console on port 9710 of the new server.

GroupWise always had its own database. Up to and including GW2012 one could get the impression that there's "only eDirectory", but behind the scenes it was ConsoleOne (or NWAdmin before) which did "the magic" of keeping the DBs in sync.

Do you really see no users at all in the GWAdmin Console?

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Commander
Commander

I don't see users on the GW admin console interface.
I think I've made a mistake in the configuration phase.
Now I'm trying again, I'll see what happen.

Fabrizio

0 Likes
Commander
Commander

Just to update the post.
It was an error in the first configuration where the original DB, from GW 2012, has been modified for GW 18.
I've uploaded the DB again, fortunately, it isn't too big, and I've remade the first configuration of the GW server.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Do you by now see your users in the GWAdmin Console?

0 Likes
Commander
Commander

Yes. The users, in the new GW DB implementation, is populated during GW server configuration.

My main problem is the poor documentation, and I wany migrate from GW 2012 to GW 18, on a new server at the same time. I think is possible.

For now, I've only worked on a test environment, but I think 

0 Likes
Commander
Commander
Yes. The users, in the new GW DB implementation, are populated during the GW server configuration.

My main problem is the poor documentation. I want to migrate from GW 2012 to GW 18, on a new server at the same time. I think is possible.

For now, I've only worked in a test environment. It seems working.
My actual concern is with migration to production.
I'll cross my fingers. 🙂
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You do not need to cross your fingers.

Please log a preventive Service Request and let me know the number.

I will make sure someone is on hand to assist you should anything go wrong.

Contact detail" Tarik Baki

tarik.baki@microfocus.com

Tel:+31 653233011

This is for EMEA hours coverage.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

This can be done. It's easier if you have GW bound to a dedicated IP address which can be moved over to the new box. If you prefer smaller steps you can also go from 2012 to 2014R2 while still at OES2015, move to the new box and upgrade to GW18 there.

Buona fortuna,

M

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@restori with regards to your SR#101293952261 - we are waiting for a response from you requesting information at 08:26 am today.

Kindly provide the requested information.  Thank you.

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.