I'm looking for moving from GW 2012 to GW 18.
My actual environment is OES 2015 and GW 2012 (all GW services on the same server).
My intention, if possible, is to install a new OES 2018, install GW 18, and move GW DB using dbcopy, reconfigure GW 18 for the new domain and post office folders.
Does this is possible?
I've found that the documentation is very poor, at least for me.
Two more questions.
If I've understood, GW 18 doesn't store users in eDirectory, where they are stored?
And can I move on an OES on a different eDirectory tree?
The migration was done.
As stated I’ve found the documentation not easily useful and dispersive (maybe my bad English), but reading some documents, asking this forum, and made tests on a separate environment I done it, so now I'm reporting the main steps, maybe this helps some other.
My case was a simple installation with all GW components on the same server.
One of the first focus was to understand that users are not more strictly joined on eDirectory, and a conversion process needed.
The second was to understand if in place an update was needed before migration to another server.
In my case, I've migrated directly to a new server and the old server IP is not be migrated, the new one has a new IP.
After all, everything is relatively simple.
Those are the steps.
Install GW 18 components on the new server without any configuration.
Migrate all domain and post office files to the new server using dbcopy utility (or any other method, but must be sure that the names of the files are in lowercase).
Run configuration (starting with install procedure or via web admin-console/install). Select the menu 'upgrade domain or post office'. Add a domain pointing the path of the copied domain folder. Pay attention to the IP address, must be the new one. Do the same with the post office. Next and, last, finish at every request. This operation migrates to a new DB schema and starts the main GW services.
Now all final configurations are done via the web admin console.
Check carefully all IPs address. In my case, some are not changed with the previous step. Useful, for the check are the consoles of any single service. In my case, for example, the MTP receive status showed the old address but the send was OK.
Last, I've generated all certificates form the admin console, next I'll substitute them with my own.
I had a problem with MTA SSL Certificates, not jet well understood why. I've solved with Microfocus support (thank @laurabuckley).
That's all. I have some other minor tasks to do, like upgrade client and similar, but all seems working fine.
Do not forget to take care of client settings. If you roll out the new client, users have more options and features. But sometimes your users will be overloaded. I.e. turn off threading - but there is much more you can suggest to your users.
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions