Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mixed Groupwise/Outlook - Outlook not validating

Having a mixed Novell/AD Groupwise/Exchange environment. On some of our Windows 7 installations, Outlook clients can't connect to our Exchange servers. A login prompt keeps showing up asking for username and pw.

I do not understand why. Same user are able to logon to their Exhange profile on other Win7/Outlook installations. On every installations they are logged on to both Novell and AD with correct credentials (can access all resources except Exchange on the specific failing installations).

I am thinking that maybe the function that is added to Outlook so that you can connect Outlook to a GroupWise installation somehow breaks the Outlook/Exchange MAPI (over https) thing.

I do not know much of this Groupwise "addon" functionallity - and maybe I am off-track.

Anyone knows how to debug this?

Regards, Lars.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Mixed Groupwise/Outlook - Outlook not validating

Hi Lars,

Whilst this sounds, to me at least, like a Microsoft problem, let's see if we can troubleshoot it together.

What version of Outlook is installed? Is the GroupWise client on the same workstation? If both Outlook and GroupWise are installed on the same workstation, in what order were they installed. Your Office installation, is it 32bit or 64bit?

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2430923 wrote:
Hi Lars,

Whilst this sounds, to me at least, like a Microsoft problem, let's see if we can troubleshoot it together.

What version of Outlook is installed? Is the GroupWise client on the same workstation? If both Outlook and GroupWise are installed on the same workstation, in what order were they installed. Your Office installation, is it 32bit or 64bit?

Please let us know.

Cheers,

Great - thanks. Yeah, lets figure this out together.

Outlook is running 2007. Groupwise is installed on the same workstation. Order of installation can be both. Actually, I do not know in most of the cases... I am not the supporter, and the supporter who installed these PC's are not around any longer. Office is 32 bit.

Any clues?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I would recommend that you go into Control Panel | Mail (32-bit) | click on Show Profiles | You should see one for GroupWise and one for Outlook | Remove the Outlook one | select Prompt for a profile to be used | Apply your changes. Then launch Outlook and go through the process of creating a new Outlook profile.

See if that works and let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2431630 wrote:
Hi,

I would recommend that you go into Control Panel | Mail (32-bit) | click on Show Profiles | You should see one for GroupWise and one for Outlook | Remove the Outlook one | select Prompt for a profile to be used | Apply your changes. Then launch Outlook and go through the process of creating a new Outlook profile.

See if that works and let us know.

Cheers,

Hi Laura... thank you for your shot.

But I am aware of Outlook "Mail" in the control panel. The problem is that no matter how many times you try to create a new Outlook profile (even if you delete all existing ones), Outlook still won't validate.

The on other PC's, validating the same account works.

I have figured out, that it is actually possible the create the Outlook profile manually on the failing PC's. So I am thinking that maybe Outlook can't acceess autodiscover.xml... but using a browser to do so works fine. You are getting prompted for a username and password, and the xml-output gets shown correctly on the browser...

Weird, right?

Regards, Lars.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Lars,

If your autodiscover is not working between Outlook and your Exchange backend then you have a Microsoft problem and not a GroupWise problem - as far as I am aware. I don't know what to suggest further.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.