Highlighted
New Member.

Monitor want start after it died

GroupWise 2012 SP2
Server OS OES11
GroupWise Monitor 2012 SP2

Installed monitoring today and it was working, was looking and clicking around in the monitor and then it stopped (dead). When I start it back it failed and the message log said this (Dec 30 23:39:34 po startproc: startproc: exit status of parent of /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwmon: 1).

So at a lost where to go from here, any ideals what to check?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Monitor want start after it died

Hi,

I would double check the process: ps -ef | grep gwmon

If you see a line similar to this: root 16165 1 0 Nov21 ? 00:14:28 /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwmon @/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share/monitor.xml

Then gwmon is still "loaded" and you will need to kill the process with the kill command.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

When I run ps -ef | grep gwmon this is what it get below

po:~ # ps -aef | grep gwmon
root 12790 16353 0 14:39 pts/1 00:00:00 grep gwmon
root 12793 16353 0 14:39 pts/1 00:00:00 grep gwmon
root 12796 16353 0 14:39 pts/1 00:00:00 grep gwmon
root 12801 16353 0 14:39 pts/1 00:00:00 grep gwmon
root 12804 16353 0 14:39 pts/1 00:00:00 grep gwmon

the first number keeps changing, so does this mean it is still running?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Nope, gwmon is not running on your system - the value being returned is just the grep command that you've just run.

See if you can find anything in the gwmon log files: /var/log/novell/groupwise/gwmon/

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

One more thing...what happens if you start gwmon manually i.e. without using the rcgrpwise-ma script....

Change to the GroupWise agent bin directory: cd /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin

Use the following commands to start the Monitor Agent: ./gwmon --home /domain_directory &

replace domain_directory with the path to your wpdomain.db file e.g. /media/nss/GWVOL/dom1

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

I try ./gwmon --home and the path to my wpdomain.db file and it started and has all the agent listed in it. So what is not setup right to have rcgrpwise-ma script start GroupWise monitoring. Also before it died I had only add the GWIA and the POA to the monitor, starting it with ./gwmom and the path to the wpdomain.db file it has all the agent listed and ignores what I had setup in it before it died. Should I try re-installing gwmon?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

Sounds like your monitor.xml file might be faulty. I think your best bet is running through the install again.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Did a re-instill of the monitor and that fixed it, and got GWHA working. Now tring to add messager to the monitor and it want take it. I have even tried adding it to the grpwise-ma scrept (--nmhome ou=DCBEMessengerService,ou=GrpWise,ou=ADMINISTRATION,o=DCBE ,--nmuser xxxxx ,--nmpassword xxxxxx, --nmaddress xxxxxx), with no luck. Any the docmantion is not that good for messager, any thoughts what might try next.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

To be honest... I've not had success adding Messenger to Monitor on 2012!

I suggest opening a SR with Novell in order to get this resolved.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I have found this: Bug 762686 - Messenger Agents don't show in GroupWise Monitor

This is specific to GroupWise 2012 running on a SLES platform - that would include OES.

Hopefully this will be resolved in GroupWise 2014 - I don't know if the fix will be ported back to 2012 😞

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.