ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Move Between PO's Caused Loss of Mail and Frequent Contacts

I recently moved a user between post offices because he was moving to a different building. The move process went smoothly, but afterwards he had none of his email or frequent contacts prior to that point. Is there anything I can do about this?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

fullur;2270827 wrote:
I recently moved a user between post offices because he was moving to a different building. The move process went smoothly, but afterwards he had none of his email or frequent contacts prior to that point. Is there anything I can do about this?

I would start by checking the the post office reported and User Move Status for the user in question in ConsoleOne while connected to the primary, source and target domains.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I know that this is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but, did you follow these guidelines for preparing for the user move: GroupWise 8 Moving GroupWise Users - CoolSolutionsWiki

It is crucial to run the necessary GWCheck's on the user before doing the move.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the pointers guys. I did not think to do any kind of prep ahead of time. I am one of those crazy people who think a tool should do any necessary prep itself. If you should always run a GWCheck prior to moving a user, why is it not part of the process of moving the user? If we were talking command-line that would be one thing, but in the GUI? GUI's are for people who do not want to find out how to do stuff.

Regardless, it turned out I was just impatient. The user was moved immediately, but it took some time for the Frequent Contacts and email to get moved over. The user reported that it all came back.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Glad that it all came right for you. Thanks for letting us know 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

fullur wrote:

> Regardless, it turned out I was just impatient. The user was moved
> immediately, but it took some time for the Frequent Contacts and email to get
> moved over. The user reported that it all came back.

Yes, it can take as much as 7 days for all mail to move. And if you go into the
"move status" for a user in ConsoleOne it will often tell you where you are in
the process. Plus having both POA logs on verbose will show you how much has
moved, and how much is yet to move.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Do you have Willem Bagchus' GW 2012 Admin Guide?
http://www.facebook.com/caledonia.net
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.