jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Move GroupWise system to new tree

Have a site that has a GroupWise 8 system that we plan to upgrade. The edirectory backend is a mess and was thinking it might be cleaner to move the current GroupWise system to new edirectory tree. Does anyone know of a procedure for moving a GroupWise system to a new tree and graft in the objects?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Move GroupWise system to new tree

Hi,

Here's an old TID that may point you in the right direction: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7004121

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah, I ran across that tid yesterday in my researching. I can't believe there isn't a newer tid on this topic. I have never done it myself, nor seen a situation until now where I would even think of it. I would assume this would still be relevant today, but wish something newer would be out there. Thanks for the info.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

At the bottom of the TID is a link to a page where you can give feedback. I suggest that you use this to request an updated TID - it's worth a try 😉

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I will give it a shot and see, thanks.
0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you ever done this before? It appears that you can do this without effecting production users on the system. So technically we could move the system over to a new edirectory tree/servers and graft it into the new tree and test it without effecting production users.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Unfortunately I have never, personally, grafted a GroupWise system before and thus am not in a position to comment on your plan of action.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in this area will respond to your post.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
jlewter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I understand, thanks anyway. Yeah, I have never run into this before so it would be nice to actually speak to someone who has done this. I just want to confirm some of the steps in the tid. It leave off some preliminary info I think.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I am asking around in the back rooms for somebody more knowledgeable in this area to assist you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In reality, there is no problem with this being an "old" TID, as the procedure for grafting hasn't changed since GW 5.0, other than it once used NWAdmin, and then ConsoleOne 😉

And while you could "test it", there is little reason to do so. This is a very non-invasive procedure. The only issue you will run into AT ALL is if you are using LDAP authentication. You will, of course, need to set up the new LDAP servers on the new tree, and redo that portion of the GroupWise setup. Otherwise, if you are not using LDAP authentication, the GroupWise system would likely come up and work just fine prior to doing the graft. GroupWise is only "loosely" integrated with eDirectory, and other than for LDAP authentication only requires that eDirectory even be accessible when you are trying to administer it.
0 Likes
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, you can do it as a test without affecting anything on the production side. For example, if you have to send Novell (or me) your wpdomain.db file in order for them to fix something, they set up a container in a test tree, and graft your domain into that container to check to see what's up with it. The only downside, as I mentioned in my other post, is LDAP authentication. If you have that for your system, there is more work to do than is indicated in the TID.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The problem is that eDirectory no longer uses Console 1. I've grafted many times before but always with NWAdmin or Console1. How do you do it with iManager?

laurabuckley;2393662 wrote:
Hi,

Here's an old TID that may point you in the right direction: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7004121

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.