Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Move and Migration Advice

I am still on the venerable GW 8 but with support being dropped shortly I will need to upgrade. Im currently on GW 8.01 on Windows but to increase performance I desperately want to get the server onto Linux. Being clueless in the realm of Linux, and with the pending release of Windermere, what would be the best way to go? Should I just move to GW 2012 on Linux and call it a day, or go to 2012, then 2014, or just leapfrog the middle man and go straight to 2014? Would that be an easy move/migration?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Move and Migration Advice

i'm pretty sure you would be able to go straight to 2014 like any other groupwise upgrade

if you can afford the extra time to wait, I would just go straight to 2014. If your current gw server is a 64 bit box and a recent windows version like 2008 r2 then you can probably just do the upgrade in place to make it easier for you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gleach1;2306072 wrote:
i'm pretty sure you would be able to go straight to 2014 like any other groupwise upgrade

if you can afford the extra time to wait, I would just go straight to 2014. If your current gw server is a 64 bit box and a recent windows version like 2008 r2 then you can probably just do the upgrade in place to make it easier for you

There is a bit of a learning curve of course with GW 2014, and I would recommend some additional preparation for such a thing. I've just uploaded a video to YouTube on the client upgrade - http://youtu.be/FEBq9sjA3ks (actually, it's still uploading, so it probably won't be done for another half-hour or so).

And if you are willing to move to Linux, that's my preference too, but there are some sites where Windows is a better fit. Last year I was desperately trying to get NetWare sites onto GroupWise 2012 on Linux prior to the 2014 push, because I felt that it was a better move to become acclimated to Linux with an administration model that folks understand. But there will be many people moving from NetWare to GroupWise 2014, and so now we just need to make sure everyone is prepared!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

There are also some licensing implications that have changed with the release of 2014, email received from Novell this week below:

Mark.

--
Get ready for Novell GroupWise® 2014. To prepare you, we've made a few changes to the GroupWise 2014 end-user license agreement (EULA)—as well as support time frames for prior versions of the product.

The new GroupWise Licensing features five major changes:

Licensing for GroupWise will now be on a per-mailbox, not a per-user, basis.
Novell GroupWise entitlements for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Novell Messenger and GroupWise Mobility Service will require active maintenance.
The former WebAccess/Messenger license will now be called a Limited license.
We are introducing an Inactive license for archive/eDiscovery and compliance purposes.
We have made provisions for unlicensed test accounts and test systems.
See the GroupWise End User License Agreement (EULA) and the GroupWise 2014 FAQ for additional detail on these changes.

And if you're still on GroupWise 8, good news! We're extending general support for GroupWise 8 through June 30, 2014 so you'll have plenty of time to prepare your systems to take advantage of the latest version of the product. For detailed support information, visit the Novell Product Support Lifecycle page.

If you have questions, please contact your Novell representative or reach out to us at 1.800.858.4000. And if you’d like to test-drive GroupWise 2014 before release, sign up for the Technical Preview here using your Novell Login credentials.

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As far as OS administration Windows is a better fit, but I am more concerned about performance. Once the initial setup is done, shouldn't the OS be somewhat hands off, or is that wishful thinking? As for GW administration, I thought I had read the new management app retains some of the look of C1. I should be able to get around in that.

>>> dzanre<dzanre@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 2/12/2014 9:56 PM >>>

gleach1;2306072 Wrote:

> i'm pretty sure you would be able to go straight to 2014 like any other
> groupwise upgrade
>
> if you can afford the extra time to wait, I would just go straight to
> 2014. If your current gw server is a 64 bit box and a recent windows
> version like 2008 r2 then you can probably just do the upgrade in place
> to make it easier for you

There is a bit of a learning curve of course with GW 2014, and I would
recommend some additional preparation for such a thing. I've just
uploaded a video to YouTube on the client upgrade -
http://youtu.be/FEBq9sjA3ks (actually, it's still uploading, so it
probably won't be done for another half-hour or so).

And if you are willing to move to Linux, that's my preference too, but
there are some sites where Windows is a better fit. Last year I was
desperately trying to get NetWare sites onto GroupWise 2012 on Linux
prior to the 2014 push, because I felt that it was a better move to
become acclimated to Linux with an administration model that folks
understand. But there will be many people moving from NetWare to
GroupWise 2014, and so now we just need to make sure everyone is
prepared!

--
Danita Zanre
Novell Knowledge Partner
Become a GroupWise Power Administrator - http://bit.ly/gwpoweradmin

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
dzanre's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=364
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=474729
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

If you would like a preview of GroupWise 2014, why don't you sign up for the Technical Preview: http://vibe.novell.com/ssf/a/do?p_name=ss_forum&p_action=1&binderId=59519&action=view_permalink&entityType=workspace&vibeonprem_url=1

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Quintin wrote:

> I thought I had read the new management app retains some of the look of C1. I
> should be able to get around in that.

No - it doesn't look at all like ConsoleOne. While you probably won't get
totally lost in the Administration Console, it is quite different, streamlined
in many places, and things moved around to make more sense long-term.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Are you a GroupWise Power Administrator? Join our site.
http://www.caledonia.net/register

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.