dwjrdto2000 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Move post office database to new partition on same server

I've read about dbcopy and have already setup a new array on the same server and copied the data from my groupwise post office (not the domain) to the new array. I understand I have to do a final pass with the agents down and then comes the fork in the road;

I can change the settings in consoleone to repoint the post office to the new location on the server; OR I've read some abbreviated comments talking about mount -o bind, which sounds attractive in that I would not have to repoint anything in consoleone.

I am trying to get my head around this. Am I mounting the new location to the old location? If I do that what happens to the files that were previously in the old location? Main reason I'm doing this is to free up space at the original location.

So right now my groupwise post office is at /usr/novell/sys/grpwise/db/hbwvpo and I have dbcopied that data to the new array located at /local/grpwise/db/hbwvpo

Could someone give a novice the right command to do what I'm needing to do here? And tell me once done, how I get rid of the old data? Also I assume I have to add this mount command to the fstab file to make this permanent.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Move post office database to new partition on same serve

Hi,

You could configure your POA to run directly from/in it's new location. I would think this is the recommended option.

Perhaps this document will have the information you need: https://www.novell.com/documentation/gw8/gw8_admin/data/a3n5y7k.html?view=print

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I followed the document you sent, everything appears to be working fine. However, I ran a gwcheck from c1 and nothing seemed to happen. If you right click on the po, and go to Display Object under "Link Address" it shows the old path; but under "UNC Path" and "PO Directory" it shows the correct path.

We use the ip address to "link" the domain, and our clients all use ip to connect (not direct); I can't find anywhere to modify that "Link Address" setting and I'm worried that may be why the gwcheck will not run.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Take a look here to see if you can edit the Link Address for your Post Office:

In ConsoleOne, click Tools > GroupWise Utilities > Link Configuration.
In the drop-down list, select the domain where the post office resides.
Click Post Office Links, then double-click the post office for which you want to change the link protocol.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Yes there, it shows Protocol greyed out as tcp/ip

POA is the post office agent

Then it shows the proper ip address and port.

Nothing is shown there, nor can I find a unc path
0 Likes
Absent Member.

gwcheck works fine from my windows workstation; but I would hate to have to manually run that from time to time; the c1 has automatic maintenance scheduled which worked flawlessly before the move, I can't help but think there is some remnant of the old path is some config file that needs to be changed.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

After some reading, I found a few other people that had issues after the move with C1 GWcheck not working, and the remedy was to do a post office database rebuild. The procedure I followed is below as copied from another post:

- In ConsoleOne connect to the GroupWise domain that the post office
is under.
- Go to Properties of the post office object, change the UNC Path for
the post office to another location and click OK to save the change.
- Go back to Properties of the post office object, change the UNC Path
for the post office back to its correct location and click OK.
- Exit the POA and rename the WPHOST.DB in the post office folder.
- Rebuild the post office (which will create a new WPHOST.DB) by
selecting the post office object and clicking Tools, GroupWise
Utilities, System Maintenance. Then cliick Rebuild Database and click
Run.

AFTER I did this, gwcheck works now with Console One; for some reason the "Link Address" when you "Display Object" still shows the old path, but everything is working fine, so I guess I'm not going to worry about it??
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.