Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Moving GWIA & Webaccess 2018 to New Servers, same IP/DNS

and its me again 🙂

First of all thank you for all the answers to all the questions I've asked regarding GW migrating to new servers, its been very helpful! 

I have a question about the GWIA and Webaccess servers, currently each are on SLES 11 SP 4 and moving to SLES 15 SP1. Both have a domain associated with them. Plan is to keep existing IP and DNS names.

There's a TID for this but it's outdated for my purposes https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7013099 so I'm just wondering anyone can verify /outline steps that need to be done? Here's my thoughts:

1. Move the domain folders and certificates (including apache certs from webaccess) to new server.

2.Shut down old servers.

3.Change IP and name of new servers so they are using the same as old servers.

4. Install GW Server

5. place the copied certs to proper locations on the new sever.

(then 6. Configure webacces)

6. gwsc -i /pathtodomain & path to gwia.cfg

7. start grpwise/restart gwadminservice

Is that it?

Does any other configuration need to be done if it's keeping the same IP and DNS names? ie  Do I need to run 'configure' after the Groupwise server install as well?

Certs should still work I assume since keeping same IP/DNS name?

Also - I realize a domain is not required for Webacces any longer. Plan is to delete it in the admin console after it's been moved. Would this cause any issues?

It seems too straightforward so I feel i'm missing something ! 
TIA

Tags (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Moving GWIA & Webaccess 2018 to New Servers, same IP/DNS

If WebAccess had a domain of its own: it's not needed anymore. GWIA still needs a domain, of course. You'll have to shutdown the daemons before copying stuff (you'd for sure have done this anyway, just to mention...).

You might want to install a gwdva instance to point WebAccess at on this box. And i'd check that the apache offset works properly with the "migrated" production certificates beforehand. Installing WebAccess is missing in the plan (again, you'd for sure do this, likely just missing in the writeup). And personally i'd walk to the "configure / upgrade" dialogue for the domain / gwia instead of the gwsc way, but that shouldn't make a difference. All in all it's really as easy as it seems, the only pitfall could be related to GW certs. And i'd avoid BTRFS if ever possible.

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yes, copy your GroupWise directories (and certificates).

But a reinstall/reconfigure of WebAccess is the best solution instead of struggeling.

Do not forget to copy the right gwia.cfg. Coming from old GroupWise versions it is stored in /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share. Otherwise it is stored in your domain directory wpgate/gwia. In wpgate/gwia there are some more files you have to take care of. I.e. gwac.db; and maybe you use a blocked.txt. In your case this does not really matter, because you intend the whole directory.

Webaccess has some important files in /var/opt/groupwise/webaccess. If you have changed some settings then you will need webacc.cfg. If you work with different access features then you need gwac.xml.

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Great thank you! I've never had a gwdva on the Webaccess box - is this an ok practice?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It's by no means needed. It's just that you sometimes want to have different settings for different DVAs, e.g. to allow for a larger max. conversion size for WebAccess users compared with what you want to have for let's say indexing. Basically you can have DVA instances everywhere. A few years ago there's been a timeframe where they've been issues with the Stellent engine on Linux, which could cause an entire PO to go down. As these issues didn't affect Windows, many folks (temporarily) redirected to quickly spawned DVA instances on Windows workstations. But as mentioned, there's no functional need not to use the one which resides on you PO server.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Moving GWIA

Yes, we had that problem with DVAs crashing the POS with 2014 and ended up installing them on separate SLES servers .. Now that we are moving GW to new servers I'd like to consolidate and bring the DVAs back on the PO servers again, bearing there are no longer any issues with it crashing the PO . I'm throwing 4 CPUs and 12GB Ram on the PO servers, which have about 1000s users on it, maybe a max of 350 active at one time. I think that should be sufficient for resources for both(?)
We do have Webaccess using two different PO DVAs but if I can install an instance on the Webaccess server that may be convenient!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I haven't seen a DVA tearing down a PO for years. Server specs should be ok (while i rarely go below 16GB RAM for a PO box), GW performance is mainly about I/O, so that's something i'd focus on.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Just some advice... I do sometimes still see DVAs crashing when on the same server as the POA and this can bring the POA down.  The first thing you will typically be asked to do is move the DVA off of the POA server. 

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.