Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Moving to GW2014 from GW2012-sp2

Hi there!

We have a system based on GW2012 sp2 and we would like to move to gw2014-sp1. But, after that, I guess that
I should move from oes2 to oes11. Now, we have two domains, primary domain is based on novell cluster,
secondary domain, not. Both domains are based on oes2 on sles 10.

I would like to know if would be a good plan first move my servers to sles11-sp3 & oes 11 sp2. And, if this question
is affirmative, if this procees could be easy: AFAIK I only should move the GW system (installed on a NSS volume)
to the new servers. Is right? I mean: prepare two new machines, install GW agents (GW software) and then
move NSS volume. I would like to save the cluster main IP resource (the ip where clients connects to) but the
IP for the machines will change. Is this an issue that could affect Groupwise?

For the secondary domain, as is installed in a single machine, I guess I only have to move this domain to the new
machine (after install GW software) and simply launch domain & gwia. Am i in the right path?

After I check that GW 2012 is working fine in sles 11/ oes 11, I guess I will move to gw 2014.

Thank you everybody!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Moving to GW2014 from GW2012-sp2

Hi,

As far as I am aware GroupWise 2014 is not supported on OES2 so moving to OES11SP2 is definitely on the cards. I personally would first do the server migration and then do the upgrade.

Also bear in mind that GroupWise 2014 is 64bit only architecture and chances are that your OES2 servers may still be running 32bit.

If your GroupWise system is clustered your agents should be binding to secondary IP address exclusively, so the change to the primary IP address of the server they are running on should have no affect at all.

I'm sure that more folk will have further information for you, but please do let us know how it goes, or ask further questions as necessary.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Laura, how are you ? thank you so much for your advices.

Yeah! I was aware that gw2012 only works in sles 11 sp2 64 bits, so my new machines are sles 11 sp3 x64 with oes 11 sp2.

My GW system is ALL (main databases, not agents) in a NSS filesystem. So, If I am right, could be as easy as move the NSS volume to the new servers
after install the GW agents and launch Groupwise?

My main fear is if Groupwise system depends on libraries based on sles, or something like that. Also, all the agents are linked to the cluster IP address
(for that reason I will reuse the cluster IP address in the new system)

Thank you, have a nice day!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I'm doing very well, thank you for asking 🙂

Quick question - how do you propose the moving of your NSS volumes?

Also, don't forget the GroupWise files like the gwha.conf sitting in /etc/opt/novell/groupwise/ - I typically just copy those from server to server, but am not sure if that is the most correct thing to do.

Another thing, don't forget your log files if you want to maintain the history of your GroupWise system.

Oh, one last thing.... WebAccess - typically I just do a re-install of this on new servers as I don't have any indepth or complicated configurations.

You have a great day too!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi! My NSS volume, where GW resides is stored in a SAN storage, so I only have to reassign the LUN to the new servers
and mount the volume.

Yeah! Also, I have a list of files that should be moved outside the /media/nss/[gw-dir] like etc and var (logs files).

So, as you said, could be this a good method to migrate from oes2 to oes11 ?

Cheers!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

About 18 months ago I had to move a GroupWise system off of a 3 node physical cluster into a VMWare environment. Although I had to use DBCopy to move my data to new NSS volumes, on the virtual server I simply installed the GroupWise RPMs, reinstalled webaccess and copied the remainder of the files eg. gwha.conf manually. The system started up fine and has been running without interruption since the day I did the move.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Be aware that due to the introduction of the GroupWise Admin Service, there are some significant changes in how to run GW in an OES cluster environment. Please review the clustering doc here before you migrate your data to the new OES11 cluster..

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014/gw2014_guide_interop/data/interop_clustering.html

--Morris

>>> antoniogutierrez<antoniogutierrez@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 9/11/2014 3:46 AM >>>

Hi there!

We have a system based on GW2012 sp2 and we would like to move to
gw2014-sp1. But, after that, I guess that
I should move from oes2 to oes11. Now, we have two domains, primary
domain is based on novell cluster,
secondary domain, not. Both domains are based on oes2 on sles 10.

I would like to know if would be a good plan first move my servers to
sles11-sp3 & oes 11 sp2. And, if this question
is affirmative, if this procees could be easy: AFAIK I only should move
the GW system (installed on a NSS volume)
to the new servers. Is right? I mean: prepare two new machines, install
GW agents (GW software) and then
move NSS volume. I would like to save the cluster main IP resource (the
ip where clients connects to) but the
IP for the machines will change. Is this an issue that could affect
Groupwise?

For the secondary domain, as is installed in a single machine, I guess I
only have to move this domain to the new
machine (after install GW software) and simply launch domain & gwia. Am
i in the right path?

After I check that GW 2012 is working fine in sles 11/ oes 11, I guess I
will move to gw 2014.

Thank you everybody!

--
antoniogutierrez
------------------------------------------------------------------------
antoniogutierrez's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=104289
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=479281
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2332924 wrote:
Hi,

About 18 months ago I had to move a GroupWise system off of a 3 node physical cluster into a VMWare environment. Although I had to use DBCopy to move my data to new NSS volumes, on the virtual server I simply installed the GroupWise RPMs, reinstalled webaccess and copied the remainder of the files eg. gwha.conf manually. The system started up fine and has been running without interruption since the day I did the move.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Laura, I have remember one more thing. My secondary domain is under other eDirectory tree (this is for historical reasons, because when was installed
instead of use same Tree for all the GW system, the groupwise admin installed a secondary tree...), so in my plans I would like to reinstall all the machines.
In the secondary domain I only have the GWIA and webaccess. I guess that the best way to reinstall (and the easiest) is remove secondary domain
from the Groupwise system and create a new one under my eDirectory tree, isnt it ? I mean, delete all the domain and create a new one
but with the same Tree for primary & secondary.

Thank you so much!

Antonio.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Antonio

Indeed, deleting and recreating may be the easiest way forward. Just remember if you have any access control lists in GWIA? You could always just copy the database file.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.