Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
885 views

My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feasible?

Hello All

We have 10 NetWare servers running GW803HP3

We are going to be moving to GW2012 on OES11

Here is what I was planning and wanted to make sure is correct;

GWIA on Netware will stay live as long as possible (gwia.mycompany.com)
WEBACCESS on NetWare will stay live as long as possible
(webaccess.mycompany.com)
I am trying to have a coeistence of GW8 and GW2012 to allow for a steady
migration over time of users mailboxes to the new GW2012 Postoffices
This is part of an overall migration project we move depts/locations in
batches (moving from Netware File and Print to OES11 also as part of
these steps)
I hope to have at the end 5 OES11 GW2012 servers with POs GWIA and
WEBACCESS when all said and done

my steps
1) Build OES11 server into tree (no partitions) GWOES1
2) install GW803HP3 on OES11 box and setup as Secondary Domain
3) Promote the OES11 to Primary Domain
4) Upgrade OES11 box to GW2012 (the existing 10 NetWare boxes are still
NW on GW803HP3)
5) Setup GWIA (but dont activate) on OESGW1 (will be mail.mycompany.com)
6) Setup WebAccess on OESGW1 to be used for mailboxes moved to GW2012
Postoffices in the future (new web address) (webmail.mycompany.com)
5) Build a second OES11 server (OESGW2) and setup as GW2012 with
Secondary Domain and a PO

I am still using the existing GWIA and WEBACCESS on NW GW803HP3 during
this transition

6) Start moving mailboxes from the 10 NW GW803HP3 servers to the new
OES11 (OESGW2) going to do IT first for example

The people in the new gw2012 Postoffice will be asked to use the new
webaccess address setup on the gw2012 servers

BUT GWIA on Netware will still handles the in and out of all emails on
both GW8 and GW2012 postoffice

7) I will build a 3rd and so on of OES11 GW2012 servers with a secondary
domain and post office and now I have new GW2012 POs on GW2012 to move
people from GW8 POs again small groups at a time

😎 I promote the gw2012 GWIA to be the new GWIA and shutdown the GW8
GWIA. I expect that the remaining POs on the GW8 will be able to send
and receive from the GW2012 GWIA

and we continue migrating until all done.

we shutdown POs and Domains on the GW8 as we have cleared them of the GW
mailboxes, resources, etc

and when all said and done we are now on GW2012

is this ok?
any suggestions?
anything i am proposing not a good idea?

thanks

Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feasible?

Hi.

That all sounds good, if you have decided that your angle of attack will
be to create new POs and move users.

Of course, the other option that also works well is to copy the existing
PO data "as is" and reinstall GW 2012 on the existing data. Both work,
and both have their pros and cons.

CU,
Massimo

On 11.09.2013 18:07, Learning Novell wrote:
> Hello All
>
> We have 10 NetWare servers running GW803HP3
>
> We are going to be moving to GW2012 on OES11
>
> Here is what I was planning and wanted to make sure is correct;
>
> GWIA on Netware will stay live as long as possible (gwia.mycompany.com)
> WEBACCESS on NetWare will stay live as long as possible
> (webaccess.mycompany.com)
> I am trying to have a coeistence of GW8 and GW2012 to allow for a steady
> migration over time of users mailboxes to the new GW2012 Postoffices
> This is part of an overall migration project we move depts/locations in
> batches (moving from Netware File and Print to OES11 also as part of
> these steps)
> I hope to have at the end 5 OES11 GW2012 servers with POs GWIA and
> WEBACCESS when all said and done
>
> my steps
> 1) Build OES11 server into tree (no partitions) GWOES1
> 2) install GW803HP3 on OES11 box and setup as Secondary Domain
> 3) Promote the OES11 to Primary Domain
> 4) Upgrade OES11 box to GW2012 (the existing 10 NetWare boxes are still
> NW on GW803HP3)
> 5) Setup GWIA (but dont activate) on OESGW1 (will be mail.mycompany.com)
> 6) Setup WebAccess on OESGW1 to be used for mailboxes moved to GW2012
> Postoffices in the future (new web address) (webmail.mycompany.com)
> 5) Build a second OES11 server (OESGW2) and setup as GW2012 with
> Secondary Domain and a PO
>
> I am still using the existing GWIA and WEBACCESS on NW GW803HP3 during
> this transition
>
> 6) Start moving mailboxes from the 10 NW GW803HP3 servers to the new
> OES11 (OESGW2) going to do IT first for example
>
> The people in the new gw2012 Postoffice will be asked to use the new
> webaccess address setup on the gw2012 servers
>
> BUT GWIA on Netware will still handles the in and out of all emails on
> both GW8 and GW2012 postoffice
>
> 7) I will build a 3rd and so on of OES11 GW2012 servers with a secondary
> domain and post office and now I have new GW2012 POs on GW2012 to move
> people from GW8 POs again small groups at a time
>
> 😎 I promote the gw2012 GWIA to be the new GWIA and shutdown the GW8
> GWIA. I expect that the remaining POs on the GW8 will be able to send
> and receive from the GW2012 GWIA
>
> and we continue migrating until all done.
>
> we shutdown POs and Domains on the GW8 as we have cleared them of the GW
> mailboxes, resources, etc
>
> and when all said and done we are now on GW2012
>
> is this ok?
> any suggestions?
> anything i am proposing not a good idea?
>
> thanks
>



--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feas

Hi,

Your plan doesn't look bad but....

You cannot move resources to new post offices. That means you'll have to re-create them.

Do you have any libraries? What about those? When you move a gw user that is an owner of documents, I forget if you need to reassign the documents or if they are moved with the user? Check this.

I'd suggest taking a good look at the coolsolutions article about moving users and follow it. I currently do not have the link, sorry.

Have you already installed any OES11 / OES2 / OES1 Servers in your environment? There are steps needed to account for these scenarios. Will the new servers have ncp and nss? Will the GW Volume be nss /ncp or ext3? Do a eDir health check before you do any of this and also perform a "GroupWise Health Check". Make sure that there are no outstanding process (pending operations) that are "stuck". Remember to connect to each domain and take a look at what it thinks is a pending operation, fix these. Also while connected to each domain, check if any user moves are still processing or stuck. Fix theses. I'd also suggest a top-down-rebuild before you begin, etc.....

Now to the doing....

Why not migrate the primary domain and subsequent Domains plus their post offices to the new OES11 servers and then update 'em? You can do this in one "move"... For example, Install and configure the new OES11 server(s) taking special care with eDir (SLP / NTP / DNS, etc...) and then install the latest gw2012 (sp2?) then use the newest dbcopy to copy the primary domain to the new box, then start it with the gw2012 software / binary (gwmta). Then you've moved the primary domain from the NW to OES and updated it from 8 to 12 in one blow.... Do the same with every other Domain and Post Office. Of course, please remember to run gwchecks and fix all problems before you migrate a post office and to do the aforementioned "GroupWise Health Check" before you migrate anything.

A mixed environment is not a problem, I have several customers that have that. An example is a customer that is using an older version of GWAVA with their gwia and still have a couple of old 8 Post Offices. They too are moving their users, pretty much the exact same thing that you've got planned except with OES11 Clusters. So, a mixed environment is fine. This customer has been "migrating" their gw for 6 months, no problems.

Here are a couple of links.

Optimising Linux servers for GroupWise and NCP Performance | Novell User Communities

https://www.novell.com/communities/node/13400/groupwise-gwtune-linux

Check your eDir after installing the OES11. https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3564075

I would suggest that depending on how much expierence you have that you either contact Novell Consulting or your local Novell Partner and spend a bit of cabbage (money), maybe a day or two of consulting fees and go through your complete conecpt with them...

Only a suggestion.

Hope some of this helps and please remember, I'm not responsible for anything you might implement that I've suggested. You're responsible for your environement. Good luck.

Mike
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feas

Oh, btw, do you have user archives? If so, don't forget them? Maybe centralize them before you start moving users and "migrate" them in one move.

Good Luck!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feas

Hi,

In addition to what Massimo has said, I also strongly recommend that you get yourself Danita's guide to migrating/moving GroupWise and also the one on Upgrading: GroupWise eBooks

I've found them to be worth their weight in gold. Just a suggestion 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feasible?

In article <1z0Yt.197$8v1.183@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Learning Novell
wrote:
> moving mailboxes from the 10 NW GW803HP3 servers to the new
> OES11 (OESGW2)
>

you will tend to notably increase the amount of space used in this
approach as you will lose all instances of single instance store.
I.e. If one user sent another 1MB message, right now it is stored just
once, but after a moving them as users, they'd be stored twice.

Also user moves do tend to take longer than a strait file copy of the
Post Office containing them.

As per Laura, get Danita's book as it covers so many of the issues you
will otherwise trip over.


Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037


___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feasible?

On 16.09.2013 05:55, Andy Konecny wrote:
> In article <1z0Yt.197$8v1.183@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Learning Novell
> wrote:
>> moving mailboxes from the 10 NW GW803HP3 servers to the new
>> OES11 (OESGW2)
>>

> you will tend to notably increase the amount of space used in this
> approach as you will lose all instances of single instance store.


Nope, no longer true, IIRC since GW8 or even earlier.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feasible?

In article <glAZt.89$Pl1.21@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Massimo Rosen
wrote:
> Nope, no longer true, IIRC since GW8 or even earlier.
>

Cool! Yet another improvement snuck through when I wasn't paying
active attention.


Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037


___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: My Plan to move from GW8 on NW to GW2012 on OES11. Feasible?

Thank you all. Excellent advice and informtion

Yes got Danita's books

As part of our overall project (nw to oes and gw8 to gw2012 and nwirpint
to iprint enterprise inclusion of datasync, zmm, zcm, Filr) we are
performing all the required/recommended maintenance and due-dilegence

Yes we ended up getting a GREAT Novell partner here in Canada and they
are doing a wonderful job informing us of everything you all have said.

Our project starts Thanksgiving Weekend (here in canada its Oct 12 to 14)

Thanks again

I love these forums!

8-)

On 11/09/2013 12:07 PM, Learning Novell wrote:
> Hello All
>
> We have 10 NetWare servers running GW803HP3
>
> We are going to be moving to GW2012 on OES11
>
> Here is what I was planning and wanted to make sure is correct;
>
> GWIA on Netware will stay live as long as possible (gwia.mycompany.com)
> WEBACCESS on NetWare will stay live as long as possible
> (webaccess.mycompany.com)
> I am trying to have a coeistence of GW8 and GW2012 to allow for a steady
> migration over time of users mailboxes to the new GW2012 Postoffices
> This is part of an overall migration project we move depts/locations in
> batches (moving from Netware File and Print to OES11 also as part of
> these steps)
> I hope to have at the end 5 OES11 GW2012 servers with POs GWIA and
> WEBACCESS when all said and done
>
> my steps
> 1) Build OES11 server into tree (no partitions) GWOES1
> 2) install GW803HP3 on OES11 box and setup as Secondary Domain
> 3) Promote the OES11 to Primary Domain
> 4) Upgrade OES11 box to GW2012 (the existing 10 NetWare boxes are still
> NW on GW803HP3)
> 5) Setup GWIA (but dont activate) on OESGW1 (will be mail.mycompany.com)
> 6) Setup WebAccess on OESGW1 to be used for mailboxes moved to GW2012
> Postoffices in the future (new web address) (webmail.mycompany.com)
> 5) Build a second OES11 server (OESGW2) and setup as GW2012 with
> Secondary Domain and a PO
>
> I am still using the existing GWIA and WEBACCESS on NW GW803HP3 during
> this transition
>
> 6) Start moving mailboxes from the 10 NW GW803HP3 servers to the new
> OES11 (OESGW2) going to do IT first for example
>
> The people in the new gw2012 Postoffice will be asked to use the new
> webaccess address setup on the gw2012 servers
>
> BUT GWIA on Netware will still handles the in and out of all emails on
> both GW8 and GW2012 postoffice
>
> 7) I will build a 3rd and so on of OES11 GW2012 servers with a secondary
> domain and post office and now I have new GW2012 POs on GW2012 to move
> people from GW8 POs again small groups at a time
>
> 😎 I promote the gw2012 GWIA to be the new GWIA and shutdown the GW8
> GWIA. I expect that the remaining POs on the GW8 will be able to send
> and receive from the GW2012 GWIA
>
> and we continue migrating until all done.
>
> we shutdown POs and Domains on the GW8 as we have cleared them of the GW
> mailboxes, resources, etc
>
> and when all said and done we are now on GW2012
>
> is this ok?
> any suggestions?
> anything i am proposing not a good idea?
>
> thanks
>


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.