Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1999 views

NDS Corrupt Files DSRepair won't repair

At a customer site that had a raid drive that was corrupted and since replaced.. GW is running with some issues but is running. Cannot log in to the Novell client due to the fact that it cannot find the tree. Therefore cannot run ConsoleOne to maintain users. Also the Mail sync to GW is not working.

Client is using GW in a Windows environment. Have tried to run dsrepair but get a -613 error saying either missing files or not enough space.

If I go through a reinstall of GW, will it leave the mailboxes intact and put the files it needs in place in order to allow the tree to be rebuilt?

Thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NDS Corrupt Files DSRepair won't repair

tduvall6;2307863 wrote:
At a customer site that had a raid drive that was corrupted and since replaced.. GW is running with some issues but is running. Cannot log in to the Novell client due to the fact that it cannot find the tree. Therefore cannot run ConsoleOne to maintain users. Also the Mail sync to GW is not working.

Client is using GW in a Windows environment. Have tried to run dsrepair but get a -613 error saying either missing files or not enough space.


I take it the server running GroupWise is the only server that has an eDirectory replica? (e.g. no more healthy copies of the NDS/eDir running on other servers?)

tduvall6;2307863 wrote:
If I go through a reinstall of GW, will it leave the mailboxes intact and put the files it needs in place in order to allow the tree to be rebuilt?


No, GroupWise does not touch or care about the NDS/eDirectory tree. To run, GroupWise is essentially only concerned about it's own domain and postoffice databases and files.

From GroupWise perspective, NDS/eDirectory is just a means of having a method to administer the system (add/remove GroupWise object, change runtime settings, etc).

If you don't have means to repair the current NDS/eDirectory you can install a new one (this is done seperatly from the GroupWise install). Then use ConsoleOne to extend the NDS/eDir schema so it understands the GroupWise objectes and attributes and move on to grafting your existing GroupWise system into the new tree.


As you mention the current GroupWise system is also having issues, running a top down rebuild followed by a message and user database rebuild and reindex would seem the first steps to take after having moved GroupWise to a healthy system.



-Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NDS Corrupt Files DSRepair won't repair

P.s. I just noticed this is your first post here in the forums! Welcome!

The previous steps I mentioned require some planning and knowledge about different aspects... I don't know how comfortable you feel with this all, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! 🙂

It would also be good to know more detail about the customer setup, things like;

How many NDS servers does the customer have running?
Which OS is the customer running GroupWise on? And which version patchlevel (e.g. OES2 SP2 or NetWare 6.5..)
Which version of GroupWise is the customer running?
You mention mail sync.... which product is the customer running for this, and what version?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NDS Corrupt Files DSRepair won't repair

Thanks so much for the quick response! No I do not have a separate edirectory Replica. So I would just install eDirectory again, and then extend the schema? Do I need to uninstall the current eDirectory?

Thanks,

Terry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NDS Corrupt Files DSRepair won't repair

tduvall6;2308019 wrote:
Thanks so much for the quick response! No I do not have a separate edirectory Replica. So I would just install eDirectory again, and then extend the schema? Do I need to uninstall the current eDirectory?


Hi Terry,

Depends on the OS you are running eDirectory on and if you are looking to reinstall on the same server (which I think not, seeing the root of the issue).

If you have installed eDirectory software on the new server you are intending to move GroupWise over to, and there is no previous eDirectory configuration on that server... no need to uninstall anything on the old server, just make sure the old instance if not half running. It's best to remove it (physical connection) from the LAN so you can install the new server with the old IP/server name/tree name. That will make it as seamless as possible to recreate needed eDir accounts and reattach current configurations.

More detail of your current setup and what you are planning for a new setup would be great! (and needed for a better fitting advice).

Cheers,
Willem
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NDS Corrupt Files DSRepair won't repair

Thanks again for the quick response. I am running Windows 2003 Server on a PowerEdge 2950. Groupwise 8. I am planning on reinstalling to the same server, as I have the drive corruption issues fixed. In what you are saying it sounds as if I should uninstall edirectory, disconnect from the lan, then install (from the groupwise installation or a separate eDirectory installation disk?). Then extend the schema to pickup the groupwise. Once this is done, then repair/reindex groupwise to clear of any of the groupwise issues. The groupwise issues are: attachments sometimes not being truly attached and the Novell Data Syncronizer (on a separate server) not allowing attachment to mobile devices. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that it cannot attach to the NDS.

That is my plan! Sorry for the many questions, I've not dealt with Groupwise much (I inherited this customer when the IT department quit, and left very little documentation) and have not dealt with NDS since Netware 6.5 never on Windows...

Thanks,

Terry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NDS Corrupt Files DSRepair won't repair

Hi Terry,

sorry for the late reply! Lost track of this tread 😞

tduvall6;2308030 wrote:
I am running Windows 2003 Server on a PowerEdge 2950. Groupwise 8. I am planning on reinstalling to the same server, as I have the drive corruption issues fixed.


Ok. Will that be a full reinstall (OS included)?

If you have the option, I'd opt to install on a different server so you have this one running until you have successfully rebuilt the setup on the other server. Always good to have the original files until the new setup is running, just as fail safe.

tduvall6;2308030 wrote:
In what you are saying it sounds as if I should uninstall edirectory, disconnect from the lan, then install (from the groupwise installation or a separate eDirectory installation disk?).


The disconnected lan thing is only in the situation that you are installing on a new server and want to keep the old run running for reference without changing anything.
If you install the new one and want to reuse the original ip, that's why you'd want the original one disconnected 🙂 Also to make sure the original server is not maybe still propagating the existing eDir/NDS name. A new NDS/eDir install would not let you use the original tree name if it's already found as active tree name on the network.

tduvall6;2308030 wrote:
Then extend the schema to pickup the groupwise. Once this is done, then repair/reindex groupwise to clear of any of the groupwise issues.


After extending the NDS/eDirectory schema with the GroupWise schema... you can move to grafting the GroupWise objects into the newly built tree.

Then move on to the GroupWise database maintenance > TDR first , then onto the user and message database rebuild & reindex... and after that structure+index and content checks (run the structure+index job first, after that the content check - it's best to run those checks separate from each other). In each of those steps (rebuild, structure+index, contents), make sure to check the gwcheck logs to see if extra repairs are needed before moving on to the next type of repair.

tduvall6;2308030 wrote:
The groupwise issues are: attachments sometimes not being truly attached and the Novell Data Syncronizer (on a separate server) not allowing attachment to mobile devices. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that it cannot attach to the NDS.


Possible... first step is getting back a healthy system 🙂


Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.