Highlighted
lonestar1965 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1600 views

NW6.5/GWIA8.01 NAT/DNS issues

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but the problem became apparent when I installed GWAVA. I moved and upgraded an old GW6 system to GW8 from NW5.0 SBS to a new NW6.5 (OES NW) box. GWIA ran fine w/Guinevere until I upgraded it and had to switch to GWAVA. GWAVA couldn't find Kaspersky's FTP website, which generated (JAVA?) errors, and wasn't able to do some kind of lookups to determine what was/wasn't spam, so I've been whitelisting good sites, and letting more spam through (3000+/day!). FWIW - very good support from GWava folks, but this is what stumped them: ALL pings, DNS lookups, StartX GUI browser, etc. on new server are returning the IP of the company's OUTSIDE website for every single website. Ask for novell.com, get myclient.com.

However, GWIA is not having a problem getting correct MX addresses (but reverse ptr checking fails - turned that off), so email is sending (thankfully!!!). Both the NW5 and NW6.5 servers have 2 nics - one for private lan, one to connect (through 5-port switch) to T1 router. Client has 10 public ip's (wow!), and I have them NAT mapped to servers/WS's, so I can remotely support them w/PCAnywhere. Anyway, I changed the primary public IP on the old server's pub nic, and put that on the new server's pub nic. I used the exact same outside DNS servers on both servers. When I ran some tests in ConsoleOne, I could see the website's IP addr appear as a known TCP addr, but when I looked at INETCFG and TCPCON, I can't figure out why or where it's getting that address (other than it being the A record/website for my client's domain name). Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NW6.5/GWIA8.01 NAT/DNS issues

Hi,

lonestar1965 wrote:
> FWIW - very good support from GWava folks, but
> this is what stumped them: ALL pings, DNS lookups, StartX GUI browser,
> etc. on new server are returning the IP of the company's OUTSIDE website
> for every single website. Ask for novell.com, get myclient.com.


Known issue in NW65SP8 DNS name resolution. Remove your local domain
from sys:\etc\resolv.cfg. It tries to resolve with that appended first
(e.eg, ping www.google.com, and Netware will try
www.google.com.yourdomain.com first), and apparently your DNS server is
answering these.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
lonestar1965 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NW6.5/GWIA8.01 NAT/DNS issues

Thank you very, very much! I've been working on this for 3 days straight, and couldn't figure it out. I tried to change just the NW65 server having the problem, but reinitialize system didn't fix it. In the meantime, I also removed the reference to the client's domain name in the DNS resolver for the other two servers as well. When I rebooted the NW65 server, sure enough, DNS was resolving correctly (and not routing all HTTP/DNS traffic to the company's outside website). FWIW - the IP for the website was appearing as a known TCP address (through SLP??) to the other servers as well when I ran IManager and DSRepair, but they both were still routing properly. Again, thank you!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.