Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Need to give partial access to manager...with limitations

Firstly, I must apologize in advance if I did not post in the correct thread or section for Novell Groupwise.

I am the end user, not administrator. I am presently on leave and my nosey and untrustworthy manager would like to have access to my email in my absence.

I was thinking of giving my manager only specific folder access by sending a request to her to share a particular folder. Unfortunately, the sharing of folders limits you to only one folder at a time. For example, I have a folder called CASES and underneath it. I have over 100+ subfolders with file numbers.

My first question is if there is a workaround to grant access to all folders under the tree?

My second question is if the above is not possible can I use a string of search commands (how to enter them) and search for every single email and then in my view setting sort them by name and then MOVE them into a specific shared folder. What commands do I use to ensure every email is brought up and none are orphaned?

Just an added bit of info. Unfortunately, as of late GW tends to be rather flaky in searching emails. Sometimes relevant results pop up, other times it does not. If you do the same search another time, the relevant results show up. I am not certain if this is a network issue but the IT department have their fair share of complaints with GW. Additionally, we are slowly migrating to MS Outlook...bad move, I know.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Need to give partial access to manager...with limitation

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your questions.

With regards to the sharing of folders. If you select the top most folder containing the sub-folders that you wish to share, right-click on it and select Sharing, a new window will open up. Here you can add your manager, specify what additional access you wish to grant eg. Add, Edit, Delete. Then beneath the "Additional Access" box is another tick box "Share all sub-folders". Now, considering that you have posted in the GroupWise 2014 forums I am assuming that you are using GroupWise 2014. This feature was only introduced with GroupWise 2014, if my memory serves me correctly, so if you have an older version of GroupWise you are not going to see the Sharing of sub-folders option.

With regards to the search functionality, there are several things that could affect your ability to get accurate search results. Starting on the server your IT department need to ensure that the Quick Finder indexing process is correctly configured and keeping up with indexing all the mail coming into the system. Secondly, if you are using the original release of the GroupWise 2014 R2 version of the client there are issues on the client side which are resolved by obtaining and installing a newer version of the client.

Please feel free to post back with any additional questions or comments.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the swift reply!

I was assuming my Novell GW is updated to 2014. However, as I am quite computer savvy and I have used GW extensively over the last 12+ years, I looked in detail in the share options you refer to. I know for certain it is not there. Therefore, I now must assume I was incorrect and I don't have the latest version installed. Given the fact that we are migrating to Outlook due to a national initiative, I don't see any likelihood of the department purchasing licensing or going through the hassle of upgrading GW to GW2014.

Aside from contacting the IT department and have them reconfigure Quickfinder for everyone (many of my colleagues experienced this issue) are there are wild card characters or tricks that you can share that might be helpful? I am thinking of entering "*" without quotes in the GW FIND feature, either FIND BY EXAMPLE or normal FIND. ADVANCED FIND doesn't work very well.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of some not so good news. If the Quick Finder Indexing process is not correctly running/configured on the backend then no amount of fancy search terms are going to work for you. So, unfortunately, I don't have any tips & tricks for you 😞

Perhaps you should contact your IT Department and point them to these forums for some assistance with the configuration of the Quick Finder Indexing process - it's quite an easy thing to accomplish when you know how.

Having said all of the above, I'm sure that other folk in the community might come along and offer more suggestions to you - so check back here.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Need to give partial access to manager...with limitations

Hi,

Am 17.03.2016 um 06:06 schrieb laurabuckley:
Now, considering that you have posted in the
> GroupWise 2014 forums I am assuming that you are using GroupWise 2014.
> This feature was only introduced with GroupWise 2014, if my memory
> serves me correctly,

Actually, it was 2012.

That said, if it's not there, we must be talking about ancient GW8 (or
older) here.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Need to give partial access to manager...with limitations

Am 17.03.2016 um 10:27 schrieb Massimo Rosen:
> Hi,
>
> Am 17.03.2016 um 06:06 schrieb laurabuckley:
> Now, considering that you have posted in the
>> GroupWise 2014 forums I am assuming that you are using GroupWise 2014.
>> This feature was only introduced with GroupWise 2014, if my memory
>> serves me correctly,

>
> Actually, it was 2012.
>
>
> That said, if it's not there, we must be talking about ancient GW8 (or
> older) here.

Oh, and yeah, I know that routine all so well. First the "IT Department"
(on purpose or because they really don't know better), misconfigure the
product,then they let it age way beyond reasonable, and then they and
the users (the latter rightly so) start to badmouth the outdated,
misconfigured, half-legged product until it gets replaced with....

And then they're surprised (silently) that nothing gets better.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Perhaps, in the GroupWise client that you are running, click on "Help" and select "About GroupWise" and report back the number where it says "Program Release". Then we will know what version of the client we are dealing with and perhaps could advise you further.

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.