Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Netware GW 8 Move to Suse GW 8

We are moving our GW 8 in a Netware server to a server with Suse. It seems that it will take 3-4 days (we did a test during a weekend). We were wondering if making everyone archive emails, i.e. all before 2012, will help the move to be faster. Anyone has an idea?

Thanks,

Lana
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Netware GW 8 Move to Suse GW 8

Hi Lana,

I strongly recommend getting yourself a copy of Danita's guide to moving GroupWise from NetWare to Linux: Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise

In this guide Danita explains how to use DBCopy to get your GroupWise system from a NetWare server onto a Linux server in two passes. Essentially you do an initial copy with DBCopy while your GroupWise system is running - in preparation for the move. Then, when you are ready for the final move, using DBCopy with different switches will only copy the data that has changed since your initial copy. The second pass is usually very quick.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your response.

We are not 100% familiar with Suse as we are with Novell, so we are using the migration utility instead of the dbcopy. This is why I was asking if archiving will reduce the migration time. We will be using the utility during the holidays, hopefully if we start Thursday night, it will give us enough time so everyone has email on Monday morning.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Lana,

Yes, archiving will reduce the migration time as it removes the mail from the database store. The more you archive, the less needs to be moved.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.