DNewman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

New company (Merger) New Tree New GW2014 - simple question

Company merged one of us a 30ish N shop with GW 2012 the other a 27 user MS shop with exchange 2003
We've (the other IT guy and I) decided to create everything new so we have new OES 11 sp 2 servers with a new tree.
We are installing GW 2014 - When the setup screen asks for the Host Name or IP address - Does it want the Internal IP address? or the External one? - We are using one to one Nat to translate our IP addresses. We don't have an internal DNS server, but will set one up if we need one. If needed I assume we will have to do that first before installing GW?

Other than that, we will need to decide what to do with both company's old email at some point because I'm sure many of the users will want their old email and contacts, etc. and many of them use their email as a **** file-cabnet, so any suggestions on that front would be welcome.

Dennis
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: New company (Merger) New Tree New GW2014 - simple questi

Hi Dennis,

My suggestion is that you upgrade your existing GroupWise system to 2014. Disassociate the users from your existing tree - this can now be done in GroupWise 2014. Unfortunately you will have to do one account at a time. Then migrate your GroupWise system to your new server and then reassociate each account with the corresponding user account in your new tree.

Which setup screen are you referring to - the GroupWise one or the server install one? If it is GroupWise you give it the internal address.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New company (Merger) New Tree New GW2014 - simple question

1. After upgrading to 2014, make sure the directory object in System | LDAP Servers has all the information, especially the LDAP user credentials. Hit the Test Connection to ensure all is well. Then hit the Sync button at the bottom of the same page. This will send a task to the MTA to do a proper associate for all users/grps in the directory.

2. After this is complete (check the mta log), then you can delete the directory object referenced above. This will then remove all associations to the directory ( if step one isn't done, the dissociate will fail). Then you don't have to remove associations for all objects one by one.

SIDE NOTE: on CoolSolutions, we have posted a utility to remove all user associations from a directory. https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/cool_tools/dissociate-users-directory-groupwise-2014/

However, this will not remove any Group associations..

3, Create a new Directory definition in System | LDAP SErvers to point to the new tree.

4. Go to System | Directory Associations and select the new definition, and a base contect, and select Subtree search if needed. This will attempt to match GW userid's with the edir userid's. Any users matched will show in the preview, then you can mass associate them.

--Morris

>>> laurabuckley<laurabuckley@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> 7/17/2015 12:36 AM >>>

Hi Dennis,

My suggestion is that you upgrade your existing GroupWise system to
2014. Disassociate the users from your existing tree - this can now be
done in GroupWise 2014. Unfortunately you will have to do one account
at a time. Then migrate your GroupWise system to your new server and
then reassociate each account with the corresponding user account in
your new tree.

Which setup screen are you referring to - the GroupWise one or the
server install one? If it is GroupWise you give it the internal
address.

Cheers,

--
Laura Buckley
Technical Consultant
IT Dynamics, South Africa

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
laurabuckley's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=122
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=493152
0 Likes
jesullivan Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Morris,

Can you help with a issue with the gwdissociate tool (cool solutions) you mentioned above? I'm getting the following error after entering all the information requested: Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 28, in <module> KeyError: 'outOf'. Sorry to respond to a old thread.

Thanks
Jeremy
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: New company (Merger) New Tree New GW2014 - simple question

In article <jesullivan.7qtz9z@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Jesullivan
wrote:
> Traceback (most recent call last): File
> "<string>", line 28, in <module> KeyError: 'outOf'. Sorry to respond to
> a old thread.

Which version of GroupWise are you running this against? The gwdissociate
tool was built for GW 2014 and might have issues with GW 2014R2. Which
Windows box are you running it on?

For things like this, it is usually better to start a new thread, pointing
back to the old one, otherwise you risk it getting missed. At least you
commented in the CoolSolution, so hopefully this gets to the tool creator
who may be off over some of this holiday/crazy season.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
johnbaird Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How many responses would you expect your query to produce? A query will return a maximum of 1000 results in the initial response, and if there are than 1000, there is no out of <outOf> field in the initial response. Instead there is something like <resultInfo><nextId>578</nextId><resultInfo>, with the <outOf> appearing in the response returning the last of the data. So, I'm wondering if the tool has not been programmed to handle this situation. Can you change the info entered to ensure it processes a smaller number of matching users?

HTH, John
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

We running server 2012. The tool worked correctly when used on our test box of 2014R2. Of course that has less than 20 users.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

The list of users will definitely be over 1000. The tool itself doesn't give a option to narrow down the amount processed. It just asks for the login information and name of the directory to be removed. I've found a spot of Cool Solutions website where I can submit a question. I'll see what they say.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.