Commodore
Commodore

OES 2018 upgrade under GroupWise 2018

Jump to solution

I have a GroupWise 2018 SP2 server running on version OES 2018.1 which shows as "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 3".  I want to upgrade it to OES2018.2 which would be "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5".  This server is also running GW Messenger 2018.

My question is if there are any known problems with doing this.  Would I first want to shut down the GroupWise system and Messenger system before doing the update?  Also, would I just issue the command 'zypper migration' at the command line (after taking a VM snapshot)?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Admiral
Admiral
There are multiple ways to accomplish the secondary.
1: on same server as primary but using different ports
2: on same server as primary but using different IP. This involves also setting your primary to use single IP instead of binding to all.
3: installing on second server. You already have this option available. Running a single MTA uses very little resources.

As for enterprise messaging. Talk to your partner about subscription addon they should be able to assist.
https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/enterprise-messaging/features

View solution in original post

0 Likes
22 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

For collaboration purposes I run a test environment based on OES. Starting with OES2015 - I upgraded several times and now I am on OES2018SSP2. The same for GroupWise which is on version 18.3 now.

However I never had any troubles to update any piece of software. Well, sometimes small issues, but not because of the operating system. During upgrades I did not stop any services, I did not stop GroupWise, Messenger or GMS. Nevertheless if I compare to your situation - my system is a test environment ;-). Upgrade has been done as described in documentation - I prefer command line activities)

(my collaboration server is an all-in-one system supporting GroupWise, Messenger, GMS, Vibe, .. but it is not recommended to run too many services in a single server environment (i.e. GMS))

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks, Diethmar.  This is a small system with a single Domain, PO and GWIA, as well as Messenger all running on the same server. It is lightly loaded - there are about 35 users on it.  I'll double check the zypper commands to use.

Dan

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Dan, please create a second domain. It does not matter if this domain stays empty. But in case of repairing domain databases it is easier if you have a secondary domain.

( I did not mention that I have more than one test environment - but they are more or less in the same state -always OES with GroupWise. All environments have been upgraded in a similar way. So my upgrade experience is not a single impression 😄 )

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

I haven't seen an instance where a "wagon" update from OES2018SP1 to OES2018SP2 system caused any kind of harm to GW for a previously healthy (!) system.

And as Diethmar mentions: you'll likely never miss a secondary domain in this offset. But IF you'll miss it, you'll BADLY miss it.

If you like it: like it.
Admiral
Admiral
my experience is to use a separate Server for this applications.
OES2018SP2 for GW18.3, SLES12SP5 or SLES15 for GMS18.3 and SLES12SP5 or SLES15 for MESSENGER18.3. Never had any problems for communication between the services. Yes, a second domain will be recommanded, may be also recovery Tools from Gwava, now MF
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

I agree with @Rimser , create yourself a small second server OES server to host a secondary domain to facilitate emergency gw rebuilds.  It's also good practice as it can be a full r/w of your edirectory tree in case of issues.  It's also a good idea to toss a gwia on that secondary domain

@dch151 I've been a beta tester for NetWare, OES and GW for 20 years and have done many dozens of in place OES upgrades underneath a GW system.  You shouldn't have any issues especially from oes2018sp1>sp2.  Just shut down your services.  Make sure you have a good backup and snapshots, and follow the instructions on how to do a zypper channel upgrade. That's what I usually do. 

https://www.novell.com/documentation/open-enterprise-server-2018/inst_oes_lx/data/b11mrzf5.html

make sure to finish after reboot with the 'yast2 channel-upgrade-oes' command or you'll end up with some services in broken state or missing configurations.

I'd also look into the recent subscription addon of Enterprise Messaging to OWS SB suite as it's SUPER cheap and there are multiple very useful GWAVA products in there for gw backups, security and archiving, plus filr advanced.  GW disaster recovery and secure gateway make it worthwhile right out of the gate for protecting your gw system

Rodney

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Dan, you can create and run a secondary domain on your original server, you do not really an additional server for this domain (mirroring eDirectory is another idea ...). You know, that this secondary domain will not eat much space!

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral
@Rimser
Can you explain to Dan how to create easily a secondary Domain and why Novell/MicroFocus will recommanded this!
He will enjoy! (i hope)
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Well - I think there are several posts in this forum why to create a secondary domain. Running a secondary domain is the only possibility to repair a primary domain database in case of corruption.

It is rather simple to create a second domain on the same server. Use your GroupWise administration console (the link usually containing port 9710), select domains and "New". Take care to use a unused communication port - i.e. 7102 (I assume your first MTA is using 7100 and your POA 7101) - and HTTP port - i.e. 7182); use a different path for your new domain.
(I like the idea to bundle ports for new domains/post offices if on the same server; so in this case I use 7200 and 7282).

Diethmar Rimser
Knowledge Partner

If possible use a (or more) dedicated secondary ip addresses for GW components. This will make it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to move or separate service if needed.

If you like it: like it.
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Just to be clear, I have a two node OES 2018 eDir system; one is acting as a file server and the other is my GroupWise server.  Both are running in a VMware 6.7 environment.  I always shut down the server I am upgrading and take a snapshot before doing the upgrade so I have something to fall back on if necessary. 

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of a secondary GW domain in this environment.  How does that help me?

Also, where do I find out more info on Enterprise Messaging to OWS SB suite?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.