Commodore
Commodore

OES 2018 upgrade under GroupWise 2018

Jump to solution

I have a GroupWise 2018 SP2 server running on version OES 2018.1 which shows as "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 3".  I want to upgrade it to OES2018.2 which would be "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5".  This server is also running GW Messenger 2018.

My question is if there are any known problems with doing this.  Would I first want to shut down the GroupWise system and Messenger system before doing the update?  Also, would I just issue the command 'zypper migration' at the command line (after taking a VM snapshot)?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
22 Replies
Admiral
Admiral
as Dietmar Rinser write on this Forum: for repairing a primary domain, a secondary domain is necessary for this!
When not, you must pray or have a good backup or recovery tool!
it is more secure to have this, 5 minutes to do this! very easy and simple!
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

So, I would want to spin up a 3rd OES server to support the secondary domain, is that correct?  I don't need any PO's or gateways tied to it, right?  I guess I could put the secondary domain on the OES file server as the domain won't be consuming many resources, right?

Dan

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral
No, on the same Server with the administration tool, but on a other Domain Directory! (see short description from @Rimser)
Examples:
First Domain: /media/nss/GWDATA/groupwise/domain1
Second Domain: /media/nss/GWDATA/groupwise/domain2
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral
There are multiple ways to accomplish the secondary.
1: on same server as primary but using different ports
2: on same server as primary but using different IP. This involves also setting your primary to use single IP instead of binding to all.
3: installing on second server. You already have this option available. Running a single MTA uses very little resources.

As for enterprise messaging. Talk to your partner about subscription addon they should be able to assist.
https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/enterprise-messaging/features

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I agree to @greiner and @RaveNet .

Do it! Create a secondary domain, it does not hurt! In case of database troubles you will have a trump in your cards.

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks guys, I'll try to set that up.

Dan

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

I created the secondary domain on the same server and gave it different MTP port, Admin port and HTTP port.  The MTA for the domain is up and running and when I go to the web console for the primary domain, it says that the secondary domain links are open. It took a little while but I finally figured out that I had to put an exception in the firewall so I could get to the secondary domain's Web console.

Explain again how this is makes things more reliable or redundant if the secondary domain is on the same server as the primary domain?  If the primary domain had corruption, wouldn't that be transferred to the secondary domain?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

No, Dan.

A rebuild will not do a transfer but a create database based on records.

Rebuild.JPG

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

For the activity above you have to connect to a secondary domain. Then access the primary domain and go for "Maintenance". However do not play around with this feature without reason. Maybe your primary domain contains more information than a secondary which should not happen.

Usually it does not matter which domain is connected to your administration console - information and view should be the same!

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the help.  I got the server updated to OES 2018 SP2 with the help of Micro Focus.  It amazes me all the commands you have to issue in Linux to do an update.

Dan

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral
all the commands?
zypper up (for sles)
zypper wagon (for oes)
or a boot dvd or usb stick, boot this and update the oes2018 server to sp2
What do you had installed before?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.