Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2 to OES11 (upgrade or migrate?)

GW 2012 happily working on OES 2 SP3
Obviously there is a need to upgrade to OES 11

What is easier, upgrade with bootable media or migration?

If migration how does one move GW stuff to new server?

Seb

Labels (2)
0 Likes
19 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: OES2 to OES11 (upgrade or migrate?)

Hi Seb

If your current servers are running 32 bit it would be best to migrate to 64 bit architecture.

To migrate/move GroupWise, there is an excellent book by Danita: Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

laurabuckley;2245069 wrote:
Hi Seb

If your current servers are running 32 bit it would be best to migrate to 64 bit architecture.

To migrate/move GroupWise, there is an excellent book by Danita: Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise

Cheers,

+1 for moving the GroupWise system (aka files) to a new OES11 SP1 server and reconfiguring the GroupWise agents. Especially if the current server is only doing GroupWise and some straight forward tasks that can easily be reconfigured.

-Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

All my OES servers are 64-bit

Upgrade is easier (on paper) as it does not involve any data move (NSS
volumes)

Servers are doing only GW stuff (Domain/PO, GWIA/monitor, Webaccess) plus
bits like Kanaka

I think I owe every one of Danita's GW books over the years!

Seb

"magic31" <magic31@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:magic31.5qaosp@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> laurabuckley;2245069 Wrote:
>> Hi Seb
>>
>> If your current servers are running 32 bit it would be best to migrate
>> to 64 bit architecture.
>>
>> To migrate/move GroupWise, there is an excellent book by Danita:
>> 'Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise'
>> (http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=53)
>>
>> Cheers,

>
> +1 for moving the GroupWise system (aka files) to a new OES11 SP1
> server and reconfiguring the GroupWise agents. Especially if the
> current server is only doing GroupWise and some straight forward tasks
> that can easily be reconfigured.
>
> -Willem
>
>
> --
> Knowledge Partner (voluntary sysop)
>
> It ain't anything like Harry Potter.. but you gotta love the magic IT
> can bring to this world
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> magic31's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=2303
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=463834
>

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Sebastian Cerazy;2245087 wrote:
Upgrade is easier (on paper) as it does not involve any data move (NSS
volumes

True... though I'm a sucker for clean installs 🙂

Instead of moving, reinstalling by formatting the OS partitions during install is also a way to go (after having properly removed and cleaned up the old server setup from the eDirectory). Keeping the original server name & ip and leaving the data partitions untouched, one has the clean install with minimal reconfiguration efforts.

With virtualisation this is even easier as you can just swap the OS disk out and "paste" on the original data disks. Just " prep" the new OS disk (also installing the needed OES modules + updates and groupwise agents without configuring) and swap the OS disk when the moment is there. This usually takes me 1 to 2 hours for the cleanup/reconfiguration of a server... assuming it all goes as planned 🙂

Upgrading+patching an existing OES2 to OES 11 server, and checking if everything is still working as it should would probably take longer depending on what might pop up.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Do you have a quick checklist for that?
I'm looking into doing an upgrade from GW2012 into GW2012 SP1 and also
from OES2 into OES11, all of it in VMWare.
My thinking was to do the GW upgrade just before or right after the move
into a new OES11 server, so the thought of using the same Data disk
that's being used in the OES2 server is interesting.
You seem to have done it this way several times, any quick major steps
and gotchas? Maybe concerning eDir.

Thanks,

Jose

On 2/5/2013 1:16 PM, magic31 wrote:
>
> Sebastian Cerazy;2245087 Wrote:
>> Upgrade is easier (on paper) as it does not involve any data move (NSS
>> volumes

>
> True... though I'm a sucker for clean installs 🙂
>
> Instead of moving, reinstalling by formatting the OS partitions during
> install is also a way to go (after having properly removed and cleaned
> up the old server setup from the eDirectory). Keeping the original
> server name & ip and leaving the data partitions untouched, one has the
> clean install with minimal reconfiguration efforts.
>
> With virtualisation this is even easier as you can just swap the OS
> disk out and "paste" on the original data disks. Just " prep" the new
> OS disk (also installing the needed OES modules + updates and groupwise
> agents without configuring) and swap the OS disk when the moment is
> there. This usually takes me 1 to 2 hours for the
> cleanup/reconfiguration of a server... assuming it all goes as planned
> 🙂
>
> Upgrading+patching an existing OES2 to OES 11 server, and checking if
> everything is still working as it should would probably take longer
> depending on what might pop up.
>
> Cheers,
> Willem
>
>

0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

if it were my system i'd just upgrade in place, can't say i've ever had any major issues with any OES upgrades or groupwise upgrades

i'd upgrade groupwise first and then upgrade the OES side of things, as i've heard that on OES 11 SP1 GW 2012 SP1 is the better choice, then you're not going to run into any compatability issues either

of course before any of the upgrading goes ahead make sure you shut the box down and do a cold snapshot

a good checklist for your groupwise upgrade is a full gwcheck of any domains / po's as well as validation of all the databases and edir health check, if that all comes back good it will be a walk in the park

upgrading your current box is the quickest and easiest way to do this in my opinion

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jose;2248896 wrote:
Do you have a quick checklist for that?

Not at hand... but I could make one. If it's something you need quickly, I have to say my time to do these things is limited.

Jose;2248896 wrote:
You seem to have done it this way several times, any quick major steps
and gotchas? Maybe concerning eDir.

Yes, at least 30 to 40 times 🙂 It's never a routine, as each site has it's own things to consider. But the red line can certainly be documented.

I think there are quite a bunch of "us" (consultants/admins/..) that go the route of clean installs, but I'm not sure if this has been documented in a 1-2-3 style.
The thing is, I think, that there are many combinations possible (GroupWise versions and OS'es it's running on and hypervisors it's running in when virtual).. a 1-2-3 style document will still have to be interpreted and translated into the situation at hand. This complexity has always withheld me of writing it out for others that I can not show by hands on example.

What timeframe are you looking at?

-Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Unfortunately I'm planning on doing the upgrades this evening, so only a
few hours.
I was not looking for a comprehensive list, as much as the big steps.
Starting from an OES2 and GW2012 server in VMWare, is it better to
upgrade to GW2012 SP1 before or after the upgrade to OES11?
For the migration to the new server, it seems you install OES11 and GW
and then bring that OS disk into the "old" OES2 server, is that correct?
Then it's a matter of copying the config files for GW and fix the IP
address in eDir.
Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time?

Jose

On 2/26/2013 5:56 AM, magic31 wrote:

> What timeframe are you looking at?
>
> -Willem

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jose;2248929 wrote:
Starting from an OES2 and GW2012 server in VMWare, is it better to
upgrade to GW2012 SP1 before or after the upgrade to OES11?

No, no update to the GW SP1 code is needed, you are already running 2012 code. So there are no upgrade steps here for GroupWise, just a move.

Jose;2248929 wrote:
For the migration to the new server, it seems you install OES11 and GW
and then bring that OS disk into the "old" OES2 server, is that correct?
?

Yes, that's about it.... but also, in my setups the OES2 OS disk is a separate disk from the data disk.
After first removing the original OES2 from the tree, the OES11 disk gets attached and set as first boot disk, if the OES2 OS disk is seperate... I leave it out of the new configuration.

Then start the OES11 server - which has all the needed elements but has not been configured yet (in other words: has not been added to the tree), set server name and ip equal to the one used for the OES2 server and configure eDir and NSS services. (I always first configure eDir and NSS services... make sure that's working, and then add any other OES services... *if needed*).

As the GroupWise install stuff and agents are already in there, all that is needed is to copy the GroupWise data to a new volume (or reuse the original volume, which saves the time needed to copy over the files), reconfigure the agents as needed and start them up.

Path changes on the Linux server (like when moving the GroupWise data from an ext3 mounted partition to an NSS volume, which by default has it's mount in /media/nss/..), that can easily be handled by using a symlink (symbolic link) to have the old "path" point to the new one on the NSS volume (e.g. #ln -a [/oldpath] [/media/nss/[NSS volume]/newpath]).
This is usually not needed, as you will be supplying the new agent dib paths during configuration of them anyway. It can ease things though when old paths are causing issues with some bits.

Hope that clarifies a little more.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2248967 wrote:
No, no update to the GW SP1 code is needed, you are already running 2012 code. So there are no upgrade steps here for GroupWise, just a move.

and as a P.S.: In my experience, moving/migrating and upgrading a GroupWise system can all be handled in one go.
The thing that is sensible about doing it in steps is in case things go south... it makes it easier to deduct what made the things go south.

Somewhat a duh statement, but as disclaimer: successfully handling all these steps at once means having to deal and understand the aspects of all the components you are working on (Linux/OES/eDir/GroupWise). If some of those items seem too tricky/unfamiliar, breaking it up in bits is definitely recommended.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I got a few more days to put a plan in place for the upgrade to SP1 and
migration to SLES 11 SP1.
Do you have any time to work with me and make some checklist on the
migration in a VMWare environment? I'd like to use your method of moving
just the data disk into the new SLES11sp1 server, or the OS disk into
the old server.
I'm open to document the process as we do it and get screenshots for
documentation.

Thanks,

Jose

On 2/26/2013 5:56 AM, magic31 wrote:
>
> Jose;2248896 Wrote:
>> Do you have a quick checklist for that?

>
> Not at hand... but I could make one. If it's something you need
> quickly, I have to say my time to do these things is limited.
>

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jose;2251233 wrote:
I got a few more days to put a plan in place for the upgrade to SP1 and
migration to SLES 11 SP1.
Do you have any time to work with me and make some checklist on the
migration in a VMWare environment? I'd like to use your method of moving
just the data disk into the new SLES11sp1 server, or the OS disk into
the old server.
I'm open to document the process as we do it and get screenshots for
documentation.

Hi Jose,

I am able to put some time in to this on Monday. Thinking on how we could do this... if you can write up a quick scenario sketch of;

- eDir layout, who is running the master replica, what does the partitioning of the tree look like... and if the tree is partitioned, on which servers are you running which parts.
- Who is the eDir CA in the, when will this CA expire and which certificates have you been handing out with it (just the standard server certificates, or also other stuff?)
- your current server(s) you are looking to replace and services that are running on it.
- your current server(s) you are looking to replace which servers and services are pointing to it (in terms of (S)LDAP authentication, etc)

Then we can work from there.

Do note, you mention SLES 11 SP1... you do realize SP1 is end of life? The current support combination to work with would be SLES 11 SP2+OES11 SP1.

For this request I make an exception as it's too hard to organize (IMO) within a forum thread: please PM me with your email address so we can exchange "stuff" in a more orderly fashion.

Also, to set expectations to a level that I am able to meet them: what I'll be doing here is to try to give you some guidance and transfer my knowledge of the process of switching just the OS portion to you. I can not make a 1-2-3 guide that fits the exact aspects of your environment, or in that sense be held responsible for how it works out. I can't oversee your environment and thus that responsibility of making it fit and work is in your hands.
If that's an acceptable angle for you, we can work from there. 🙂

I can say that this procedure has worked for me many times but does require a proper skill set and knowledge on the workings of all involved components (eDirectory, OES, Linux, GroupWise, and dependent services).

Having said that, feel free to PM me (again as exception, as normally I only "work" through the forums) 🙂

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I'm not sure how to PM you. Sorry, I'm using thunderbird and I'm not
sure what address to use.

Jose

On 3/8/2013 1:26 PM, magic31 wrote:

> For this I make an exception as it's too hard to organize (IMO) within
> a forum thread: please PM me with your email address so we can exchange
> "stuff" in a more orderly fashion.
>

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jose;2251304 wrote:
I'm not sure how to PM you. Sorry, I'm using thunderbird and I'm not
sure what address to use.

Ah yes, PM option is on the web side of the forums. Try this one: wmeens AT g-m-a-i-l-.-c-o-m

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.