Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1167 views

Outlook on Mac

Hello All,

I have a user who lives in another state. She connects to our GroupWise system using Outlook 2011 via IMAP. It works well with one major (for her) exception. She users categories extensively in her work flow. IMAP does not support categories, but she is able to categorize her messages and it's stored locally. The issue comes when there seems to be a mismatch between her Outlook message store and GroupWise. When this happens, Outlook re-adds all of the messages in her GW mailbox (because it does not recognize them as already there) AND then deletes all of the original messages which have been categorized locally because it does not recognize them in her GW maibox any longer. So the result is she loses all of her categorizations. It happens randomly about every 3-4 months.

I am looking for an alternative way to connect her to our system that does support categories. I have suggested WebAccess but she does not like the interface as has been using Outlook for many years with a different email account. I am thinking about trying to connect her to GW directly from her Outlook client but 1. have never done it over a WAN and 2. am not sure the Mac version of Outlook can connect that way. Another thought I had was maybe I could connect her Outlook through our Data Syncronizer as an Active Sync connection. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Thank you for any guidance or recommendations on helping my remote Mac client.

Daniel Joaquin
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Daniel,

Connecting Outlook through Data Sync / GMS via Active Sync is not yet supported.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 20/05/2014 07:26, laurabuckley wrote:

> Connecting Outlook through Data Sync / GMS via Active Sync is not yet
> supported.


Daniel,

Note that in this case "not yet supported" means doesn't work (and not
that it does work but isn't supported).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Simon Flood wrote:

> Note that in this case "not yet supported" means doesn't work (and
> not that it does work but isn't supported).


Does Outlook 2011 even have ActiveSync capabilities? I know that was
added to Outlook 2013 on Windows but I have a feeling it's not in the
latest Mac version.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
BrainShare 2014 is coming. http://www.novell.com/brainshare/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 20/05/2014 13:08, Joseph Marton wrote:

> Does Outlook 2011 even have ActiveSync capabilities? I know that was
> added to Outlook 2013 on Windows but I have a feeling it's not in the
> latest Mac version.


Good point. I believe Outlook 2011 supports Exchange Web Services (EWS)
rather than Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) so perhaps I should have written
"can't work" or "won't work" rather than "doesn't work".

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

smflood;2319864 wrote:
On 20/05/2014 13:08, Joseph Marton wrote:

> Does Outlook 2011 even have ActiveSync capabilities? I know that was
> added to Outlook 2013 on Windows but I have a feeling it's not in the
> latest Mac version.


Good point. I believe Outlook 2011 supports Exchange Web Services (EWS)
rather than Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) so perhaps I should have written
"can't work" or "won't work" rather than "doesn't work".

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thank you all for pointing that out and saving me time!!! Coming from a strictly Novell background, I did not realize that Outlook for Mac would not have Active Sync. With my limited experience with Active Sync I knew that our mobile devices synchronized using that protocol and that Outlook 2013 had it, so I wrongly assumed that was the protocol MS had been using for Exchange all along.

So what about the other option? If I setup a direct connection to our server (maybe via a software VPN or over the WAN) is there the ability to use Outlook on the Mac as a front end client just as you can do on Windows PC? From my initial reading I think the answer is no. I believe it would have to be POP or IMAP.

Thanks for the guidance!
Daniel
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately your only choices are POP3 or IMAP.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.