Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PO doesn't start

This is a gw 2012 sp 2 system. I created a secondary domain, set up NFS shares so that primary server and secondary servers can connect to both domains. That was working. When I start the system the po is closed down. Here is a part of the mta log:

15:30:11 F3EC RTR: stu-domain: 00000821.00A: Routing /media/nss/SVUSD1DATA/stu-domain/mslocal/gwinprog/2/00000821.00A (1 kb)
15:30:11 F3EC RTR: stu-domain: 00000822.00A: Routing /media/nss/SVUSD1DATA/stu-domain/mslocal/gwinprog/2/00000822.00A (1 kb)
15:30:11 F486 MTP: stuSVUSDpo-ipS0: Unable to open connection 0x8925. Address = stu-grpwise.svusd.us, Port = 7101
15:30:11 F486 stuSVUSDpo: Post office now closed
15:30:13 F4DB DIS: Processing restart request
15:30:13 F4DB DIS: MTA restart in progress
15:30:50 F4DB LOG: Logging: Restarted

I can't find the poa file. I think I made the mistake in that this is a new server. I had the primary and secondary domain directories set up and had the servers communicating (as I mentioned above). I then installed the agents and then created the new po object in C!. I think I was suppose to do it the other way around.

MTA is running just no POA running. Suggestions?

Oh one more strange detail. In C1 when I look at the POA properties the DB version shows 5. MTA shows 2012 as expected.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
20 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: PO doesn't start

Hi,

Start up your GroupWise poa manually with the --show command and let us know the output. Examples:

cd /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin

./gwpoa --show @provo.poa &

GroupWise log location: /var/log/novell/groupwise/AGENT_NAME/

The database will show level 5 until such time as it has started successfully and converted to the newest version of the database code that it's running.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here is the out put. I also listed the contents of the bin directory...

There is no log in the /var/log/novell/groupwise/AGENT_NAME, this tells me I never created the post office structure, true? There is a .mta and that starts, just no poa to start...

stu-grpwise:/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin # stu-grpwise:/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin # ./gwpoa --show@ stuSVUSDpo.poa &
[1] 1157
stu-grpwise:/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin #

Warning: Running as root

An invalid configuration option was detected (8F03).
Command Line Option: show@
An invalid configuration option was detected (8F03).
Command Line Option: stuSVUSDpo.poa
A required file or directory is missing (DF10).
wphost.db.

stu-grpwise:/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin # ls
XisErr.xml gwdva.dir gwpoa.xml strtupde.poa strtupfr.poa
grpwise gwha gwtmstmp strtupen.mta strtuppt.mta
grpwise_ps_method gwmta lnxfixe.tpt strtupen.poa strtuppt.poa
gwcsrgen gwmta.xml lnxfixg.tpt strtupes.mta
gwdca gwmtavs strtup.dva strtupes.poa
gwdva gwpoa strtupde.mta strtupfr.mta
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

There is an error in your command. This is what it should look like: ./gwpoa --show @stuSVUSDpo.poa &

You had the @ slightly in the wrong place. Also take a look in /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share/ directory for the stuSVUSpo.poa file... you might have to put the command in like this:

./gwpoa --show @/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share/stuSVUSDpo.poa &

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Please let us know if you have managed to get your POA running. Once done we are going to have to edit your gwha.conf file to get it to start automatically.

Looking forward to hearing back from you 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That is the odd thing there is no .poa file in the /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share directory.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Then your POA never got created properly in the first place. Perhaps blow away the current eDir objects that are there. Then, in ConsoleOne, connect to the domain that will host the POA, then right-click on it and select New | Post Office - follow the onscreen prompts. The process is fairly well documented in the GroupWise 2012 documentation.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Check out this: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2012/gw2012_guide_admin/data/a4bcv8i.html

And note this: If you are creating the post office on a different machine from where you are running ConsoleOne, make sure that ConsoleOne has write access to the location where you want to create the post office.

I normally run ConsoleOne directly on the Linux server that I am installing on so that I know it can write the files correctly. You can do this from your workstation by using an XWindows redirector such as XMing.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay I have it mostly up and running. I do have nfs between the two servers and they each see the other's db in the same path ie /mnt/vol1/gwdomain and /mnt/vol2/gwdomain. The only issue I am having right now is that I can't get the server with the primary domain to stay connected to secondary domain. It has to deal with an old ip address. I can see the ipaddresse is correct in the mta properties page on both C1's but in the log file it shows a different addresses. Can you help me figure out where it is getting the wrong ip address from?

Also, if I issue a rcgrpwise stop and then rcgrpwise start on both servers and both systems come up, is it safe to assume they will both start correctly on a server restart?

Thank you for the help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

The old IP address is probably still in the link configuration. I don't have a system in front of me right now, so from memory, right-click on the domain and choose link configuration - this should open the link configuration utility and you will have to just go through your links until you find the wrong IP address and update it.

Also, in ConsoleOne, on the properties of both the MTA and POA's make sure that you have ticked the "Bind Exclusive" on the network address tab.

As far as doing an rcgrpwise on your servers and everything starting correctly when you do a server restart, there is one final check that you will need to do. Go to the /etc/init.d/ directory and run the following command: chkconfig grpwise on

That tells the system to automatically start GroupWise when the system comes up.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Just thinking more about your IP address problem. Take a close look at your MTA startup files and ensure that the IP has not been hard coded in there. I've seen this on a couple of systems before.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rats, I checked the links on the primary domain and it has the correct ipaddress. I looked through the start files that I know about and don't see any ip address in any other them... The link from the secondary to the primary is connecting but can't send mail from secondary to primary and the link from the primary to secondary that has the wrong address in it and shows the domain as down and with the wrong address. If I knew how to use grep at all (doesn't it search files for specific text???) perhaps I could search the whole directory to see where the wrong address is.

Why can't users in the secondary domain send mail to primary since from that perspective both domains are up?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.