Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
kmalden Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1794 views

Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

I've been looking over this forum and have read a little about how to partition a SLES box but none that covers a RAID5 box. I've also read not to Reiser since it might be going away. I've read to make a partion for swap and boot but
have read varying things about the rest of the partitioning. Also, I've read varying things about where to install GW8. Some say in /opt but others have a /mail partion they install to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

kmalden wrote:

>
> I've been looking over this forum and have read a little about how to
> partition a SLES box but none that covers a RAID5 box. I've also read
> not to Reiser since it might be going away. I've read to make a
> partion for swap and boot but
> have read varying things about the rest of the partitioning. Also,
> I've read varying things about where to install GW8. Some say in /opt
> but others have a /mail partion they install to. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.


Are you going to run it on just a SLES server or will it have OES
installed ? If OES you can use NSS. It makes it easier to manage it as
you can use the novell client. With just SLES you'll have to connect to
the server using Samba.

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
gerberd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:14:32 GMT, "Edward van der Maas"
<edmaa@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>>Are you going to run it on just a SLES server or will it have OES

>installed ? If OES you can use NSS. It makes it easier to manage it as
>you can use the novell client. With just SLES you'll have to connect to
>the server using Samba.


I thought there were performance and lockup issues running GW on NSS?
Sure wish Novell had a single point of reference, documentation-wise,
for the most current information on what is or is not working/best
practice/procedurally correct. I'm finding the GW documentation to be
a real mess.....

DeVern
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

DeVern Gerber wrote:


> I thought there were performance and lockup issues running GW on NSS?


NSS on OES 1 wasn't all the best, but with OES 2 most of those issues
have been resolved.

> Sure wish Novell had a single point of reference, documentation-wise,
> for the most current information on what is or is not working/best
> practice/procedurally correct.


maybe this helps a bit ?
http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/GroupWise_7_Best_Practices
or:
http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/GroupWise_Design

I haven't read all of it but maybe it helps you on the way.


> I'm finding the GW documentation to be
> a real mess.....


The actual documentation goes quite in depth through each component.
Maybe have a look at:
http://www.taykratzer.com/linux.cfm?t=3

It is for gw7 but you can still use it as a lot of it is still
applicable for gw8


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:06:04 +0000, DeVern Gerber wrote:

> I thought there were performance and lockup issues running GW on NSS?


There was a specific problem with the MTA in 703hp1/800 on OES2 SP1 NSS,
but that's now been resolved with 703hp2/800hp1. We're running a single
800hp1 post office on OES2 SP1 NSS and it's working fine for us.




--
Joe Marton
Novell Knowledge Partner
Your Linux is ready.

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
kmalden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

I will be installing Sles 10 SP2.
0 Likes
kmalden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

Since it's a RAID 5 box will I be creating LVM partitions?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

kmalden wrote:

>
> Since it's a RAID 5 box will I be creating LVM partitions?


LVM is easier to extend. So maybe create a LVM partition where your
groupwise is going be palced.

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
kmalden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

I was planning on doing the following:
/boot
/swap -lvm
/ -lvm ext3
/groupwise -lvm ext3

There will be only one user created for it so /home isn't a concern
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Partioning RAID 5 SLES 10 SP2 for Groupwise

kmalden wrote:

>
> I was planning on doing the following:
> /boot
> /swap -lvm
> / -lvm ext3
> /groupwise -lvm ext3
>
> There will be only one user created for it so /home isn't a concern


I tend to partition /var of as well. This is so when the server goes
into a fit and generates millions of log files for whatever reason at
least it can't fill up /

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.