Verwaiser
New Member.

Password restricted access for published Groupwise calendar

Hello,
we want to publish our internal calendar. But I want to prevent, that everyone who knows the link-address has access to this calendar.
So I tried to add the LDAP-authorisation to the /etc/opt/novell/groupwise/calhost/gwcal.conf as described in Novell-doc 7000659.
But the access to the (for testing) published calendar is still open for every who knows the link-address.
Another directory I published from the same apache2 with the same entrys in the config file in /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/xxxx.conf works fine, if the user wants to get access, he has to login with his uid/password.

Is there another way to restrict the access to the public calendar via LDAP as described?

Thanks for your help,

Holger
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Password restricted access for published Groupwise calen

Hi Holger,

Currently there is no authentication mechanism built into Calendar Publishing.

There has been an enhancement request made (number 546836). Perhaps if you too put in an enhancement request, quoting the existing number, it will get more attention.

Enhancement requests can be made here: http://www.novell.com/rms

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Holder,

Just a further question.... Calendar Publishing is there to share your calendar with people external to your organization. Therefore they would typically not exist as users in your eDirectory (LDAP source).

If you are wanting to publish calendars for use internally, why not use the Calendar Sharing and/or Proxy access features?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Verwaiser
New Member.

Hello Laura,

I'll try this way, it didn't work in Webaccess until I installed GW2012SP2, now it seem to be the better alternative.

To restrict access to a published calendar is necessary if I don't want to give access for the whole world. I can give a uid/pw and if I want to restrict the access for people who do not need it anymore I can change the password.

But your submitted way seems to solve my actual problem.

With regards,

Holger
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Holger,

Glad that you are coming right with these issues.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
trixlopez Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

Has there been any update on the authentication mechanism built into Calendar Publishing? One of our executive wanted to have his GW calendar access by an external user for business purposes.
We have the Calendar Publishing working but user has some concerns about privacy, if it can be password protected. Any other option/suggested is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Unfortunately not. A published calendar is publicly accessible, as are all the documents included in the appointments.

In my personal opinion, if confidentiality needs to be maintained, then don't use calendar publishing.

Having said that, as per my answer above, this feature has been requested in the past, to raise attention given to this request, kindly enter an enhancement request: http://www.novell.com/rms
The more people who request the feature the more attention is given to it.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

trixlopez;2331504 wrote:
Hi Laura,

Has there been any update on the authentication mechanism built into Calendar Publishing? One of our executive wanted to have his GW calendar access by an external user for business purposes.
We have the Calendar Publishing working but user has some concerns about privacy, if it can be password protected. Any other option/suggested is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

For example NetIQ Access Manager would be one option to handle this problem.

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.