Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Permission Denied /groupwise/java.pid

Since the 14.2.1 upgrade to groupwise we seem to be getting this in the messages log every 30 seconds

***** checkproc: checkproc: Can not open pid file /var/run/novell/groupwise/java.pid: Permission denied

has anyone else experienced this?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
28 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Permission Denied /groupwise/java.pid

Hi,

Whilst I have not personally seen this error, I'm going to ask you a few questions in an attempt to assist you.

Are you running GroupWise as a non-root user?

The permissions on my java.pid file look like this:

-rw------- 1 root root 5 Jun 29 11:42 java.pid

Does yours look the same?

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Permissions below

all running as root

-rw------- 1 root root 4 Jul 20 22:03 core.hq.pid
-rw------- 1 root root 4 Jul 20 22:03 gwdva.pid
-rw------- 1 root root 4 Jul 20 22:03 hq.pid
-rw------- 1 root root 4 Jul 21 11:00 java.pid

the only thing running Java is GWADMINSERVICE - if i stop that service the java pid dissapears, start it and it comes back.

if i kill the java pid then GWADMINSERVICE stops (as expected)

Seems strange and its on all POA servers (4 of them)
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Okay. All looks good there.

Next questions - are you running, or have you configured the gwha (GroupWise High Availability) service? Do you have GroupWise Monitor installed?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No gwha and no groupwise monitor....if i stop the gwadminservice - the error stops in the log, so i deleted the java.pid then restarted the service - error comes back.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Unfortunately, at this point I'm not sure what to suggest further. Something in GroupWise is trying to read that file and is not able to. I suggest that we wait until somebody else comes along with more/better ideas.

Sorry!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Laura....support are blaming the OS not groupwise, and groupwise seems to be ok but the error in the log is infuriating
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

If you can wait an hour or two I'll get back to you with a few more suggestions. I've had a chat to one of our Linux guru's and he's given me a ton of things that we can check and go through together.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Im here till 5:30pm uk time so got the time 😉 Thanks
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Thanks for waiting...... something to keep you busy.... Linux Guru Guy said first place to look is in the dmesg log file for anything out of the ordinary. He couldn't say exactly what it is we would be looking for, but mainly any errors. So please start with that...........
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Sorry, I should have given clearer instructions. Simply type "dmesg" and you will see the information. To write the information out to a file that you can read through do this: dmesg > dmesg.log That will create the file dmesg.log in the directory you are in when you run the command.

Look for anything out of the ordinary.

Also look in /var/log/messages for anything there. I usually use: tail -f /var/log/messages to see what's happening in real time.

Let us know if you find anything.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dmesg looks fine but in messages this is where i see

Jul 22 09:14:28 ****** checkproc: checkproc: Can not open pid file /var/run/novell/groupwise/java.pid: Permission denied
Jul 22 09:14:59 ****** checkproc: checkproc: Can not open pid file /var/run/novell/groupwise/java.pid: Permission denied

blanked server name with *****

had 2 restarts this server since first noticing the issue.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Just a random question - how much space is available for /var ? Is it on a separate partition?

The reason I ask is that I recent had a similar error/situation "permission denied" on a service and the root cause was /var was out of space.

Let us know 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Checked that first we have 183 GB left free 🙂
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Okay, great.

Let's test something else.... change the security, temporarily, on the java.pid file to 666 so all users can read/write to it and let's see what impact that has on it.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.