6002502 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Planning the upgrade path to GW18 without losing connection

I'd like a bit of advice on the real world experiences of those who have upgraded from GW14 sp2 to GW2018 please.

At present I have one VM running all the agents and mobility services. It's running on SLES 11 SP4. It's a small system.

As I it understand the steps for me would be;

1. Upgrade the Base OS
2. Upgrade Groupwise
3. Upgrade mobility services.

Has anyone done this?

What I'd like to do is to create a thread for those who haven't done the upgrade, with all the Gotcha's in it. Lets save a few headaches.

Any offerings?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Planning the upgrade path to GW18 without losing connect

id say good luck haha, ive had to rebuild my Mobility Services server to get from SLES 11 SP4 to SLES 12 SP3 (this is what support suggested after it went wrong a good few times)

Im now looking at new build servers for PO, GWIA etc, not using BTRFS as its caused me massive head aches SLES12 default...then a migration to these servers including domains etc.

Dont get me started on groupwise messenger, brand new build of OS and Application...never worked since day 1 and support are still looking at it, i just get an update to try every few months.

We run VMWare also so its saved us many times but at the end of the day....but id look at new build VM and a migration to save the stress.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Planning the upgrade path to GW18 without losing connect

i'd never run Mobility and the core GW system on the same box / VM. Create a dedicated SLES12 box with a fresh instance of Mobility (personally i'm pretty conservative as for filesystems), configure it, let it sync up and simply change your natting or DNS records to switch over. Normally users won't take notice of the change.
As for the core system, while GW18 happily runs on SLES11SP4 (so you can upgrade there if you like), you also might want to create a new SLES12 VM, tune it to your needs and install the binaries. Once finished you can simply attach the VMDK holding GW data to the new box and configure the agents accordingly. If you're currently running GW on a secondary ip address you can simply move it over after stopping the agents on the old box. If not, you'll need to keep the old box off after downing it (to detach the VMDK) and add the agents' address as a secondary to the new box. Pretty straightforward and, if well prepared, with minimal downtime.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.