peawet08 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Post upgrade High CPU usage

Hi,

We have just upgraded from GW14.2 to GW18.0.2.

So far we have updated the POA/MTA/GWIA along with the WebAccess server.

The main server is running 12GB RAM, 2 vCPU's and plenty of disk storage and we have around 250-300 users (not all active at the same time)

Under GW14 the server ran fine, however after the upgrade we have noticed much higher CPU performance. About an hour after the update, the CPU performance reduced to about a steady 10% (Normally 5% under GW14 overnight) but then this morning users started to report issues with slow performance.

When we changed the server The POA, System & Java processes were taking the CPU to 100%. Eventually, killing the Java process reduced the CPU from 100% and the server started to average around 50%-70% with the POA process being a common high user. Stopping the Java process stopped access to the GW Admin console however, when we restarted the GW Admin service, Java did not bring the CPU high again and access to the console was fine.

Whilst the CPU is now ticking at an average of 50-70% with occasional 100% moments, this level is about double what we saw previously under GW14 and the GW Client occasionally feels a little slow.

Are there any reported issues with GW18 that could be linked to this issue? Are there any recommendations to reduce the CPU utilisation of the POA (other than adding more vCPU's)?

Thanks

Mark
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Post upgrade High CPU usage

Hi Mark,

I've seen issues that have a big impact on performance when Quick Finder Indexes are corrupt or out of date and older clients are being used against the POA. Doing a Search/Find can have dire consequences in this situation.

I'd start with setting your POA log files to Verbose and then checking them at the time Quick Finder is running and look for any errors such as Squeeze errors or user databases reporting large numbers of unindexed items. You can also check your gwcheck.log files from your nightly [should be running each night] Structure check on the POA. Look for "Pending Items" under each user db being checked to see if there are large numbers of items pending indexing. This, of course, is just one of the most common issues I've seen impacting on POA performance but I don't rule out other causes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
peawet08 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

The POA logs are showing hundreds of "Error streaming an attachment [D01B]" messages. Does this error still relate to retain or could it point to another issue?

Thanks for your help

Mark
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mark,

There is more than one cause of such an error. Without seeing what is happening in the lines before and after that single snippet you gave us it's a little difficult to give you more information.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
peawet08 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
Just wanted to update the thread....

We gave the server more CPU, then after restarting the server it ran near 100% for about 15-20 mins before calming down.

Then the new GWCheck ran and found 25 problem mailboxes, which it fixed without issue, and now it seem to be ticking over at about 2-5% CPU.

Thanks

Mark
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mark,

Perfect. Thanks for the feedback 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.