regischapman Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Problems Upgrading GW Mobile server to SLES 12

Jump to solution

I'm trying to upgrade Groupwise Mobile from running on a SLES 11 sp4 VM to SLES 12 SP4.

We're already running Server Name: GW-Mobile Version: 2.1.0 Build: 230, so I don't think I need any updates to this, since, shockingly, this hasn't been updated since 2015.

Having said that, in the instructions:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwisemobility2014r2/gwmob2014r2_guide_install/data/inst_update_mobility_pack.html

The instructions are: "Run /opt/novell/datasync/tools/pgUpdate.sh to update postgresql. This can be done at any time before upgrading the OS."

Which is supposed to upgrade the Postgres SQL to 9.4 from our existing version 8.3.23.

This file does not exist.

Have I missed something?

I have tried to update Postgres SQL manually using zypper: zypper install postgresql94-contrib but this seems to break the dashboard, and likely other things as well.

Please help me figure out where I've gone wrong here.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Problems Upgrading GW Mobile server to SLES 12

Jump to solution

First, GMS 14.2.x will not run on either SLES12SP3 or SP4.  In order to continue to run GMS 14.2.x you will need to stop with SLES12SP2. 

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwisemobility2014r2/gwmob2014r2_guide_install/data/inst_req_server.html

Also rather than continue to fight this one, why don't you just spin up a new SLES12SP2 server, install GMS 14.2.1 HP5 and then retire the current Datasync server?  The migration from Datasync 2.x to GMS 14.2.x was never tested.

Pam

0 Likes
33 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

For starters, your GMS is too old.  On that same page you reference, it states:

Upgrading from SLES 11 to SLES 12
Before you can upgrade from SLES 11 to SLES 12, the following prerequisites must be met:

* GMS 14.2.1 HP1 must be installed on the SLES 11 server before the upgrade to SLES 12.

14.2.1 HP1 is Build 270 and you are at Build 230.  The current version is (I think)18.1.1 Build: 483.  So you are missing out on a lot of newer fixes/features.

My recommendation would be to build a new SLES 12 server and install the latest GMS on it.  You can set it up in tandem with your existing GMS and get it synced up with GroupWise and then point your DNS to the new server and people will seemlessly move over to the new server.  I have done it with my 75 user system and only had a couple people that needed to delete the mailbox on their mobile device and then re-add it.  Everyone else just kept working as if nothing had happened.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

We are not running Groupwise 2018, so I didn't want to go that far. I need to get all my Groupwise Servers upgraded to SLES 12 before I migrate to GW 2018. And we have several.

I'm just really trying to upgrade the operating system behind it, and make sure that the database underneath it is also upgraded. per the instructions.

You said: "GMS 14.2.1 HP1 must be installed on the SLES 11 server" Maybe something is being lost in translation here: Isn't GMS 2.1 the same as 14.2.1 HP1? The naming conventions here are strange and I'm not sure how to determine what version numbers are comparable in that sense.

In this sense, I'm at the latest version for 2014 r2, I BELIEVE; but why does the script that upgrades the Postgres SQL not exist? It seems that this is my missing link, preventing me from moving forward.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
Also, I downloaded the latest (I thought) GMS ISO from my Customer Center and it's also listed as 230, so I assumed it was the latest.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Isn't GMS 2.1 the same as 14.2.1 HP1?

No it is not.  That is the issue.  I was hoping MicroFocus had a build history for GMS that I could point you to, but I cannot find one.  But you need to get to at least 14.2.1 HP1 before you can upgrade SLES.  I'm not sure of the exact release date for 14.2.1 HP1, but I installed it on my system in January 2017, so it was probably released some time late 2016.  You have two options: 

1. Upgrade GMS to 14.2.1 HP1 and then upgrade SLES, or

2. Setup a new SLES 12 server and install GMS 14.2.1 HP1 (using the method I mentioned).

The choice is yours.  The benefit to #2 is little to no downtime.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
This sounds like a good plan. I've filed an SR with Microfocus about why I'm not seeing versions past 230 in my Customer Center, and hopefully the version 270 is the GMS 14.2.1 HP1 you mentioned. No wonder I was confused.

Hopefully the GMS 14.2.1 (270) will contain the script I need (/opt/novell/datasync/tools/pgUpdate.sh" to get PostgresSQL updated also.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Unfortunately no one in support has access to your customer care portal.   You will need to email entitlements@microfocus.com

Pam

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

You might want to email entitlements@microfocus.com to see if something is missing in your Customer Center.  The 230 build is too old for SLES 12.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

I have downloaded and installed all these patches, and yet my original question remains unanswered. I still need to upgrade PostgreSQL from 8.3 to 9.4, and I appear to be missing (still) the script that is supposed to do this upgrade.

Manually updating the database breaks the Dashboard, and installing GroupWise Mobility Service 2014.R2.Support Pack 2.Hot Patch 5 (14.2.2.5) doesn't provide me with a mechanism to update the database.

So, my question, while answered beyond my original awareness is still stuck at the initial question.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

14.2.2.5 (i.e. build 255) should contain

datasync-common-14.2.2.7781-1.1

So if you run something like

rpm -qa |grep -i datasync-common-1 |xargs rpm -ql

you should get these ones

/opt/novell/datasync/tools/pgUpdate.sh
/opt/novell/datasync/tools/pgUpdate94to96.sh

listed. If not something's gone wrong on updating. And for sure build 225 hasn't been the first one to contain the scripts.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
Does the pgUpdate94to96.sh also upgrade you from 8.3 to 9.4 first?
If not, how do I get the script that does this?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Both scripts should reside in

/opt/novell/datasync/tools

Do i understand correctly that you indeed have pgUpdate94to96.sh, but pgUpdate.sh is missing?

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
No. I'm currently at PostgreSQL 8.3 and need to upgrade to 9.4 before I get to upgrading to SLES 12, according to the instructions link in my original post. There is supposed to be a script that upgrades my database there, and it's not there.

This script is supposed to be run before I upgrade to SLES 12, but does not exist. I'm trying to work out how to get that so I can continue to upgrade. I've since learned I have more upgrading to do that I originally thought, but that does not solve the problem that I cannot upgrade from 8.3 to 9.4.

As I said above, I've also manually upgraded from 8.3 to 9.4 (breaks the DB, dashboard and probably other things). I've tried running the existing update.sh, and this breaks the entire datasynch and doesn't update the database.

It seems that the consistent missing piece is the script that will upgrade me from GW-Mobile Version: 2.1.0 Build: 230 to GMS 14.2.1 HP1 as well as the database. I've independently updated to that, but it doesn't upgrade the database when doing so.

So far, this process is a complete nightmare and I'm on day three of trying to work it out. It seems like it shouldn't be so difficult. I feel like I have every version of this software and ISO downloaded. but I still don't grasp what I need to do.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
Also, I am finding it might be more complicated than even this: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/pgupgrade.html

I am not a PostgreSQL database administrator. I'm a sysadmin wanting to upgrade the operating system on my servers, and along the way I have fallen down this rabbit hole.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

The process normally doesn't take longer than let's sac an hour, including an intermediate step with SLES12SP3. Basically like in this little write-up.

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7024020

I'd guess your issues are consequences of what you've done while being at stoneold GMS2. Do you have a chance to revert back to that point? So you could get to 14.2.2.5 from there and run both of the scripts which definitely are included in it and for sure  would in their given directory as part of a successful installation?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.