Highlighted
dwjrdto2000
Visitor.

Pulling messages from gw8 to a new gw2018

I was reading a cool solution on migration, but I'd rather start up a new server, new gw2018 installation and somehow pull into the new installation the email from gw8. Years ago when I changed from gw6 to gw8; There was a cool solution that I used, I archived everyone's email.  Started a brand new server, installed gw8 on the new server, changed the user id's in console one for the users to the user id's they had on the old server, then in the clients pointed the gw clients to their respective archives (that I had copied over to the new server), and they could then pull back whatever messages/appointments they wanted.

Can you do the same thing from gw8 to gw18?  I know console one will not be available? 

Any other/better ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Pulling messages from gw8 to a new gw2018

@dwjrdto2000 wrote:

I was reading a cool solution on migration, but I'd rather start up a new server, new gw2018 installation and somehow pull into the new installation the email from gw8. Years ago when I changed from gw6 to gw8; There was a cool solution that I used, I archived everyone's email.  Started a brand new server, installed gw8 on the new server, changed the user id's in console one for the users to the user id's they had on the old server, then in the clients pointed the gw clients to their respective archives (that I had copied over to the new server), and they could then pull back whatever messages/appointments they wanted.

Can you do the same thing from gw8 to gw18?  I know console one will not be available? 

Any other/better ideas?

The short answer is yes, but where do I begin?

Does this about sum it up?

1. You want a new server?
  2. You want GroupWise 2018 running on this new server?
  3. You want all the post office content that currently resides in your GroupWise 8 server to be incorporated into your GroupWise 2018 server?

Those are perfectly reasonable objectives and there are two distinct procedures needed to accomplish this:

1. A migration.
  2. An upgrade.

These are the steps you need to follow (in a nut shell). The devil, of course, is in the details so read, read, read, the documentation.

1. Build your new server.
  2. Download and install the GroupWise 2018 software onto the new server.
  3. Copy your GroupWise 8 domain(s) and post office(s) to the new server. That is all you need. No other previous software or settings are used. This is the migration step. Refer to the documentation references I provided in GroupWise Migrations – A Better Way . Decide how you want copy your data.
  4. Shutdown your GroupWise 8 server before proceeding.
  5. Begin the GroupWise 2018 configuration. Specify that you want to upgrade an existing system. Your GroupWise 8 domain and post office databases will be upgraded from version 8 to version 2018 and you should have a working GroupWise 2018 server with all the content from your GroupWise 8 system.

That's all there is to it! 😉

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Pulling messages from gw8 to a new gw2018

Facing the info given I also don't see a reason to go via archiving. In case you still want to follow this route you'll likely want to check these...

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7022545

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7014868

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.