Absent Member.

Quick question re: moving from NW to Linux/OES

Have a server that runs:

(all GW 8.01)
Primary domain
PO
GWIA
Webaccess

We're migrating to new OES-L server and I'd like to start with GWIA and Webaccess, then move PO later. I'd be creating a new domain on the OES box and installing GWIA/WA brand new.

Question - is this going to mess me up moving the PO later? Or can I migrate PO to the new domain later? Or another approach?

thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Quick question re: moving from NW to Linux/OES

bertbrand;1938403 wrote:
Have a server that runs:

(all GW 8.01)
Primary domain
PO
GWIA
Webaccess

We're migrating to new OES-L server and I'd like to start with GWIA and Webaccess, then move PO later. I'd be creating a new domain on the OES box and installing GWIA/WA brand new.

Question - is this going to mess me up moving the PO later? Or can I migrate PO to the new domain later? Or another approach?

thanks

Moving the GWIA and WA to a new separate box (also setup within a DMZ?) is a good step to take. You can build the new box while the old stays running, switch to using the new components and when that works remove the old agents from your configuration.

It should not mess up and will actually make the next move (MTA+POA) easier as you will only have to focus on getting those two running.

One important thing before moving any of your GroupWise bits around: make sure the links are set to use IP.

Happy moving 😉
-Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Willem

I guess what I'm concerned about is GWIA, WA and PO will eventually be on the same Linus box. So if I create a new MTA there now for GWIA/WA (mainly WA now), then won't the MTA for the PO conflict or ??? when I go to move PO later?

Or do I *not* create new MTA for Linux GWIA/WA now? Just move later? I thought GWIA/WA need an MTA on same box to function. ??

appreciate the help

magic31;1938404 wrote:
Moving the GWIA and WA to a new separate box (also setup within a DMZ?) is a good step to take. You can build the new box while the old stays running, switch to using the new components and when that works remove the old agents from your configuration.

It should not mess up and will actually make the next move (MTA+POA) easier as you will only have to focus on getting those two running.

One important thing before moving any of your GroupWise bits around: make sure the links are set to use IP.

Happy moving 😉
-Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

bertbrand;1938872 wrote:
I guess what I'm concerned about is GWIA, WA and PO will eventually be on the same Linus box. So if I create a new MTA there now for GWIA/WA (mainly WA now), then won't the MTA for the PO conflict or ??? when I go to move PO later?

Or do I *not* create new MTA for Linux GWIA/WA now? Just move later? I thought GWIA/WA need an MTA on same box to function. ??

appreciate the help

To start with the cant's.. you can't move an existing PO to a new Domain.
You can however run multiple MTA's on one box... but that would be messy.

It is possible to install GWIA and WA agents on a box that's not running an MTA... not a can't but a definite don't (for security & stability reasons)

The better approach in this case: Move everything but the PO.

As you can have a PO/POA running on a system without an MTA running on it...
If you absolutely want to keep all the agents on one new box, move the MTA to the new system, install the GWIA and WA on the new box (reusing or recreating objects). After that the last step will be to move the PO.

Before doing this, make sure all links are set to communicate over IP.

Hope that helps,
Willem

P.s. You've seen the Caledonia GW move guide? : Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise - Errata. I can definitely recommend it as it will give you many insights and is a good way to get well prepared for this move.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Perfect - thanks

I do have that Caladonia guide, but got a little confused as There's not an exact scenario of what (how really) I'm planning to do.

Glad I asked though!

thanks again for the help

magic31;1939003 wrote:
To start with the cant's.. you can't move an existing PO to a new Domain.
You can however run multiple MTA's on one box... but that would be messy.

It is possible to install GWIA and WA agents on a box that's not running an MTA... not a can't but a definite don't (for security & stability reasons)

The better approach in this case: Move everything but the PO.

As you can have a PO/POA running on a system without an MTA running on it...
If you absolutely want to keep all the agents on one new box, move the MTA to the new system, install the GWIA and WA on the new box (reusing or recreating objects). After that the last step will be to move the PO.

Before doing this, make sure all links are set to communicate over IP.

Hope that helps,
Willem

P.s. You've seen the Caledonia GW move guide? : Caledonia Guide to Moving GroupWise - Errata. I can definitely recommend it as it will give you many insights and is a good way to get well prepared for this move.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

bertbrand;1939148 wrote:
Perfect - thanks

I do have that Caladonia guide, but got a little confused as There's not an exact scenario of what (how really) I'm planning to do.

Glad I asked though!

thanks again for the help

No prob! That what the forums are for 🙂

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

bertbrand;1938403 wrote:
Have a server that runs:

(all GW 8.01)
Primary domain
PO
GWIA
Webaccess

thanks

Personally, if it were me.

Your current box has one Domain and a PO, GWIA, and WebAccess under it? (assuming that to be true)

I would create a secondary domain/mta on the OES2 Linux server and create another GWIA for it. I personally like to have a one-to-one relationship (one Domain for one GWIA, one domain for one WA), however, you CAN certainly put another WebAccess agent on that secondary Domain.

Assuming you get everything working at at that point, and get rid of your "old" GWIA/WebAccess, I would simply "airlift" the Primary domain and PO over to the OES2 Linux box (I am assuming you are on NSS on NetWare and will be using NSS on OES2).

By airlift, I mean use Danita's guide there to dbcopy all the stuff over and then of course you'll have to change the eDir objects to reflect the new path and IP address and whatnot.

Otherwise you could also create a new PO on that secondary domain and move your users over that way, but I try to avoid that.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.