Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
8460 views

QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Hi.

When using the quick view, each email is marked as read, even when you just scroll
through the emails, so that they aren't really read.

Is there a possibility to either configure "don't mark QuickView seen emails as
read"? Or to specify a time, they must be viewed in QuickView, before they get
marked as read?


Regards, Rudi.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
26 Replies
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> Is there a possibility to either configure "don't mark QuickView seen
> emails as read"? Or to specify a time, they must be viewed in
> QuickView, before they get marked as read?


No. The only option is to disable the QuickViewer.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Hi.

>No. The only option is to disable the QuickViewer.


😞 that's, what I expected ...

Tx, Rudi.
0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

* Rudolf Thilo wrote, On 03/30/2011 06:25 PM:
> that's, what I expected ...


Well, technically you did open the mails by using the quickviewer, it's just that you can't read fast enough 🙂

SCNR
Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Hi.

[don't mark quickviewed emails as read]

>Well, technically you did open the mails by using the quickviewer, it's just that
>you can't read fast enough 🙂


I know, that's also, what I tell the users. But they aren't happy about this
information...


Regards, Rudi.
0 Likes
gregamy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

So basically they want to be able to read their email without the system reporting that they read it? And they're upset the system won't let them do that...?

Greg Amy GroupWise Admin Hartford (CT) Hospital
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Hi.

>So basically they want to be able to read their email without the system
>reporting that they read it? And they're upset the system won't let them
>do that...?


Scrolling through the inbox with QuickView active does *NOT* mean, that the emails
are really read: It just means, that the very first, few lines were visible, for
maybe 1 second (or even less).


A configurable time would be a good feature. Or, even better, Mark viewed, when the
*WHOLE* email was "seen". Like the setup routines, that activate the "Accept EULA"
button only, when you scroll down all the EULA text displayed in an edit above.


Regards, Rudi.
0 Likes
gregamy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

We're playing semantics here, but if they're using the Quick Viewer and "quickly viewing" their emails, then they're reading them, plain and simple. To suggest otherwise implies subterfuge/ulterior motives.

System is wokring as it should be. Sorry for the lack of empathy, but if they don't want to read/"quickly view" their emails, then all they have to do is turn off Quick View. But don't complain that you're not reading your emails with QuickView, 'cause you are...

Greg Amy GroupWise Admin Hartford (CT) Hospital
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

On 4/4/2011 4:12 AM, Rudolf Thilo wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> So basically they want to be able to read their email without the system
>> reporting that they read it? And they're upset the system won't let them
>> do that...?

>
> Scrolling through the inbox with QuickView active does *NOT* mean, that the emails
> are really read: It just means, that the very first, few lines were visible, for
> maybe 1 second (or even less).
>
>
> A configurable time would be a good feature. Or, even better, Mark viewed, when the
> *WHOLE* email was "seen". Like the setup routines, that activate the "Accept EULA"
> button only, when you scroll down all the EULA text displayed in an edit above.
>
>
> Regards, Rudi.

All that leads is to random inconsistency - if they scrolled slowly and
the message was a line or two it would be marked as read.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

On 04.04.2011 18:00, Michael Bell wrote:
> All that leads is to random inconsistency - if they scrolled slowly and
> the message was a line or two it would be marked as read.


And if the "timeout" would be really so short no human could read it,
you'd still get a screen video or shot which you could read as slowly as
you'd like.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Rudolf's are close to Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts of Traal:
"This creature is so mind-bogglingly stupid that it assumes that if someone cannot see it, then it cannot see the person."

SCNR
Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Hi Uwe,

thanks for the polite bouquet of flowers.

Rudi.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Hi.

>And if the "timeout" would be really so short no human could read it, you'd still
>get a screen video or shot which you could read as slowly as you'd like.


OK, show me how you "abuse" a quick view screen shot to read an email of 2 - 3 pages
of text.


Your and Uwe's answer could be transcoded to "It's WAD, and don't tell us, that the
D in WAD could be improved! - PLONK".

What a luck, that Novell's position in the market is close to a monopol, so that
they really don't need to think about improvements...


You did read my example with the read license agreement above, didn't you?

Rudi.
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> OK, show me how you "abuse" a quick view screen shot to read an email
> of 2 - 3 pages of text.


Setup a camera that's recording the monitor. Quickly scroll through
the e-mail using the QuickViewer, quick enough that the threshold isn't
reached causing the e-mail to remain marked as unread. Now go back and
play the video at a slow rate of speed. The user has just suddenly
read an entire 2-3 page e-mail without having it marked as open.

> Your and Uwe's answer could be transcoded to "It's WAD, and don't
> tell us, that the D in WAD could be improved! - PLONK".


The thing is, it can't really be improved. This isn't a technical
issue. This is a user issue. In fact, this is no different than the
situation where people claim GW is deficient because it doesn't have
the ability to prevent e-mails from being forwarded or printed (but
Notes is "better" because it does). If a person *wants* to get the
informationg out and skirt around the system, it will happen. The same
with the QuickViewer. So to try and actually remain secure, the best
design is to flag e-mails as opened & read when the QV is active.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: QuickView: Don't mark as "Read".

* Rudolf Thilo wrote, On 04/05/2011 01:52 PM:
> Your and Uwe's answer could be transcoded to "It's WAD, and don't tell us, that the
> D in WAD could be improved! - PLONK".


Nope, all we say is, it doesn't make sense to have a "stealth read" mode. Nobody keeps you from submitting an enhacement request.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.