iliadmin Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Rebuild and restore my GWIA

Lost my GWIA server during an SP update. I think I will need to rebuild it.  Wondering if after I install SLES 12 and patch it, can I restore the Groupwise stuff from a backup? Does it matter that the backup was from SLES 12 SP3? I was going to to install SLES sp4 directly this time since the upgrade from sp3 to sp4 is when the server would no longer boot. If I can do the restore, what paths should I be restoring to the server?
This was a GWIA with a secondary domain, MTA and web access.  I will be setting up partition wise to mirror the original setup, using the same server name and IP.  Anything else I need to do? 

Also, is there a TID on this some place?

Kind regards,

Val

Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
fgams Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Rebuild and restore my GWIA

I would try to get the server to boot rather than re-installing.

Why won't it boot?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Val,

If you can't recover the old server and setup a new server then first install the GroupWise software on the server.

On the new server have the same path structure as your original server. If you can't quite remember what it was, in the GroupWise Admin Console, connected to your Primary Domain, go the the Domain object of the secondary, and click on the "General" tab --> file path will be show there.

You can rebuild the secondary domain by doing the following on the Primary domain server:

gwadminutil rebuild -cd -d /path/to/primary/mta -n <name of secondary domain> -o /tmp/whatever/

This will rebuild the secondary MTA into the folder /tmp/whatever
Copy the entire contents, incl. sub-directories to the new server into the folder that hosts the MTA.

Before you start the MTA you will need to install the certificates for the MTA on the new server:

gwadminutil certinst -db /path/to/secondary/ -ca <ip or dns name of primary domain server>:9710 -a <admin name> -p <password>

As for the GWIA... if you have a backup you can recover the ..../path/to/secondary/mta/wpgate/<gwia name>/

If you don't have a back up of that then...

Personally I prefer doing the following running the GWAdmin Console on the Server and not a workstation.
Make sure the recreated MTA is running
In the GWAdmin console ensure you are connected to the secondary domain that owns the GWIA.
Delete the GWIA object
Decline deleting the file structure on the server.
Still ensuring you are connected to the secondary domain
Create a new GWIA
Configure Access Control lists with any settings you may have had (gwac.db is the file that you wanted from backup to restore this information)
Don't forget to recreate the route.cfg file if you previously had one.

I think that about covers it.

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Another candidate for a restore would be gwauth.cfg (in case it's been used before).

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Laura, thanks for the detailed reply!  I feel confident now I can get this restored.  I do have documentation on the file paths, etc. (it's just something I always try to do/keep updated for just such an occasion). 

Web access:  Any specific steps to recover the web access piece?  I do have the original certificates and my private keys as part of the backups.

Kind regards,

Val

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Ah, thanks Mathias!  I will add that to my list. 🙂

Kind regards,

Val

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Not sure, neither was Micro Focus or SuSE. SuSE is still looking into, but I am at the point where I have to bite the bullet and just re-do it all as the web access has been down a week already and I have people who can only access via web or mobile and mobile isn't fun if you have to do a lot of e-mail. I had 2 servers, identical, that I updated from SLES12 SP3 to SP4 and one was rebooted and didn't come back up, so I didn't reboot the other yet (it is my Mobility server) so as not to completely kill any access to e-mail for remote travelers. SuSE said the Mobility can hang out a bit without needing the reboot yet, but not for very long. I wanted to have the GWIA up before I reboot the Mobility in case it experiences the same issue. All the BIOS and firmware on the array controllers are up to date, so those are not the issues. Rescue mode allows you to see the drives and the contents, no problem. All health checks on the hardware are OK.  Re-did grub and still not working.  So, it's time to move on and fix it from scratch. It's a bummer.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@iliadmin wrote:

Laura, thanks for the detailed reply!  I feel confident now I can get this restored.  I do have documentation on the file paths, etc. (it's just something I always try to do/keep updated for just such an occasion). 

Web access:  Any specific steps to recover the web access piece?  I do have the original certificates and my private keys as part of the backups.

Kind regards,

Val

Hi Val,

WebAccess should be quite straight forward.  Install the WebAccess software and then run the "Configuration" part of the install.  Put your certificates back in place for Apache and you should be good to go 😉

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Hi Everyone! Thanks for the great help, especially Laura, I have my GWIA back--yea! Only 2 issues: 1) it is not using my cert but a generic cert (local host). I have checked the httpd.conf and the directrories (actually restored them from a backup) and I guess I am just running on empty , have no idea what else to check. 2) I cannot load the webaccess console that lets you review who is logged in and the logs. Any help would be great! Thanks so much, Val
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@iliadmin 

Hi Val,

When you say "It is not using ..." is "it" your GWIA or WebAccess?  Sorry but that is not clear to me.  If it is your GWIA you configure what certificates it uses in the GW Admin Console | GWIA | SSL tab.  If you are referring to WebAccess then you need to take a closer look at your apache conf files.

To get to the WebAccess console you need to edit the webacc.cfg to allow access... find the section and change the 127.0.0.1 address to that of your WebAccess server and change false to true.

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.