sylvaing1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Recovering a user's emails from an archive copy

Hi, back in 2011, we switched from Groupwise 8 to Exchange 2010 (even to this day, I say "In Groupwise you couid do this" when confronted to Exchange/Outlook idiocity) and last week, we got a request to recover a user's emails from an archive copy stored on a DVD 😕 Back then, when a user left the company, we logged in as the user in Groupwise and created an archive copy of his/hers emails and stored that copy on a DVD. Knowing we no longer have a license/copy of Groupwise running, what would be the easiest way to get the emails back? Are there firms that specialized in such a thing?

Thanks for your help

A former Groupwise admin.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Recovering a user's emails from an archive copy

Hi,

As far as I am aware you will need a running GroupWise system with a user created with the identical FID as the deleted user in order to access the archive. Perhaps someone else will come along with a better idea.

But I will do some further investigation and if I find anything I'll report back.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Recovering a user's emails from an archive copy

Hi,

Ok, so I've done some digging and some thinking - the two main GroupWise to Exchange migration tools that I am aware of are Quest and Transend. They both can migrate archives to .pst files. HOWEVER, from what I have read, both of them require a live GroupWise system to authenticate against.

So here's suggestion B - download the evaluation copy of GroupWise 2014 from the Novell Downloads site. Setup a VM or test server using SLES [Linux] as the OS as you won't need to license that as it's provided "free" for a period of time with GroupWise - at least as far as I know. GroupWise 2014 does not require eDirectory or any sort of directory to manage the user accounts. Create a GroupWise user with the identical FID which can be determined by looking at the archive directory name. Here's how to create a user in 2014 with a specific FID: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014868

Install the GroupWise client, it doesn't matter that it's 2014, unless you have an older version hanging around, on a workstation. Copy the archive directory to the local workstation. Login to GroupWise as the user you've just created. In the GroupWise client go to Tools | Options | Environment | File Location and enter in the location of the local archive. Then see if you can access the archive.

Once you've got a "live" server you can, of course, use the tools mentioned above to migrate the archive to a .pst file. Alternatively, if you don't want to spend that kind of money, install and configure a GWIA on your GroupWise system and configure a route.cfg to automatically send all mail to your Exchange system. On Exchange you will need to configure a Receive Connector to accept mail from the IP address of your GWIA with anonymous access. Then unarchive the mail, and then forward/send to a mailbox in your Exchange system.

Please do let us know how it goes or if we can be of further assistance.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.