Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Recreating User GW Account

Hello All,

A little background... we have one user who has had GroupWise issues since she started with our company about two years ago. These issues have manifested as random crashes and lock ups in the GroupWise client. Sometimes it's related to clicking reply, sometimes related to opening the address book and sometimes it's in the middle of typing a message. Over this time I have run structure, contents, fix on her mailbox numerous times, though I do run the same maintenance on our whole PO each weekend. Over that time I have also completely rebuilt her mailbox indexes twice and run a structural rebuild twice. The issue has also followed her starting with GW 8 and on through our GW 2012 upgrade and client versions all the way up to the current version. On the hardware side, she is on her 3rd system, each was formatted to factory start before it was given to her.

So now the only other option I can come up with is to completely recreate her GroupWise account. As a general plan I want to rename her current account, create a new account, associate her new account with her eDir user, share the folders from her old account with her new one, transfer her messages over, export then import any personal address books and then make sure her new account is on the correct distribution lists. As I'm planning through the process though, I do not see a way to change the edir-GW association. Anyone know if that is possible? Are there any other suggestions for a course of action or anything you can see I am forgetting about.

Thank you for any help with this project!

Daniel Joaquin
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Daniel,

here's what could also do:

- export address books
- archive all mail and calendar items
- delete the Groupwise account
- create a new Groupwise account
- note the FID
- use the archive editor to change the FID
- unarchive all items
- import address books

If you follow your plan: Highlight a Groupwise or edir account in C1, click Tools, Groupwise Utilities, GW/eDirectory association and select disassociate or associate.
Was that what you were looking for?

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Uwe,

That is exactly what I was looking for! I will have to think a little more on which route I would like to take. Your option sounds cleaner since there is no sharing and moving of messages but I kind of like the idea of being able to keep the old account accessible while making the new association and then moving over them manually. Like a safety net for a tight rope 2 feet of the ground. LOL

Daniel
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Daniel,

well, both methods work. If your user is able to move stuff himself between two accounts, there's a chance he cleans up old stuff a little and doesn't move all the junk from previous years 🙂

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Associate
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Silly question perhaps, but when you run the contents fix, structural check etc on her account are you actually finding any errors with their account?

I'm just wondering if there is actually anything wrong with her account within GroupWise.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.