Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1614 views

Remote contact list management

Any way to remotely clear a user's contact list so the next time they
log in they download the entire list from the NMS server?

--
Stevo
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Remote contact list management

Hi Stevo,

If the user has created their own contact list, then no, at least not that I am aware of!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Remote contact list management

laurabuckley sounds like they 'said':

>
> Hi Stevo,
>
> If the user has created their own contact list, then no, at least not
> that I am aware of!
>
> Cheers,


So my response to laurabuckley's comment is...

What happens here is users get the default contact list from the server.

Then, for whatever reason, their contact list gets out of sync
somewhat. It has happened on my machine a couple times and I don't go
in and futz with my contacts, thus making it a personal contact list.

We have people that call and wonder why someone is still in the contact
list (or not in it), when they know this person should not be in there
(as they quit or something).

Would like to be able to clear users' contact lists out remotely so
they get the system default the next time they sign in.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Remote contact list management

Hi Stevo

If the contact list is maintained on the server, then that's where you change it, but you have to shutdown and start the agents again for it to sync to the clients.

If you are adding contacts to the contact list on the server but not stopping/starting the agents then those changes never sync to the client.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Remote contact list management

laurabuckley sounds like they 'said':

>
> Hi Stevo
>
> If the contact list is maintained on the server, then that's where you
> change it, but you have to shutdown and start the agents again for it
> to sync to the clients.
>
> If you are adding contacts to the contact list on the server but not
> stopping/starting the agents then those changes never sync to the
> client.
>
> Cheers,


So my response to laurabuckley's comment is...

I have the agents restart every night at midnight.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Remote contact list management

Hi Stevo,

A stop/start routine on the Agent has always done it for me. If it is not working for you then I don't know - sorry.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
dkerbaugh Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Remote contact list management

I have found that if users have not created their own Contact Lists, the default contact list will only sync and update changes if the list is Paddlelocked on the server side. This has been my experience anyway.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Remote contact list management

dkerbaugh sounds like they 'said':

>
> I have found that if users have not created their own Contact Lists,
> the default contact list will only sync and update changes if the
> list is Paddlelocked on the server side. This has been my experience
> anyway.


So my response to dkerbaugh's comment is...

Well DUH! How did I not see that setting in there? Will users need to
re-'download' the system contact list (one last time) after I've made
this change, or will it get set automatically?

--
Stevo
0 Likes
dkerbaugh Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Remote contact list management

We are running the current version of Messenger (V3.0.3) and I can only speak to what my experience has been and what my test results were.

In my tests I had multiple users create their own contact lists. I then locked down the system contact list and restarted the daemon.

Once the user logged out, exited the Messenger Client, and logged back in to Messenger their personal contacts were gone and the only contact list they had was the system contact list.

This seems to be all or nothing so it has the potential to tick off a lot of users. Even with multiple profiles setup, once I lock the contact list on the default policy it lock in everybody to the system contact list.

Also just remember the server side daemon needs to be restarted and the client needs to exit out of the messenger client and then log back in.
0 Likes
asd23 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Remote contact list management

dkerbaugh sounds like they 'said':

>
> We are running the current version of Messenger (V3.0.3) and I can
> only speak to what my experience has been and what my test results
> were.
>
> In my tests I had multiple users create their own contact lists. I
> then locked down the system contact list and restarted the daemon.
>
> Once the user logged out, exited the Messenger Client, and logged back
> in to Messenger their personal contacts were gone and the only contact
> list they had was the system contact list.
>
> This seems to be all or nothing so it has the potential to tick off a
> lot of users. Even with multiple profiles setup, once I lock the
> contact list on the default policy it lock in everybody to the system
> contact list.
>
> Also just remember the server side daemon needs to be restarted and
> the client needs to exit out of the messenger client and then log
> back in.


So my response to dkerbaugh's comment is...

Weird thing here, when I locked the contact list, I still had a couple
people who did not have the latest list. They did not receive the one
from the server, and then were unable to delete all their contacts and
log out & back in to get the updated one.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
dkerbaugh Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Remote contact list management

That is strange and would stretch my knowledge base for further recommendations. The login / logout part anyway.
Locking the Contact List will disable the options to Add/Change/Remove any contacts so these clients must have received part of the server side config.

Depending on how many users you have, I don't get to concerned with bouncing the daemon during business hours. The clients do observe the communication break, but the Messenger client recovers automatically. However, if your boss was in the middle of a chat, that may not be good.

The users that aren't working correctly are they PC or Mobile?

If I had this issue and the issue was on the PC, a PC reboot first. Then I would try unlocking the Contact List and see if those users can remove their contacts and then lock it again once they were able to. If not then I may remove and re add them to messenger. I may even uninstall and reinstall the Messenger Client.

If the users having trouble are Mobile I may look into other communication issues first.
0 Likes
asd23 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Remote contact list management

dkerbaugh sounds like they 'said':

>
> That is strange and would stretch my knowledge base for further
> recommendations. The login / logout part anyway.
> Locking the Contact List will disable the options to Add/Change/Remove
> any contacts so these clients must have received part of the server
> side config.


I was hoping it would override what everyone has.


> Depending on how many users you have, I don't get to concerned with
> bouncing the daemon during business hours. The clients do observe the
> communication break, but the Messenger client recovers automatically.
> However, if your boss was in the middle of a chat, that may not be
> good.


I have a cron job restarting services around midnight every day.


> The users that aren't working correctly are they PC or Mobile?


Users having the issue are on pc's connected 'locally'.


--
Stevo
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.