PatPer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Resources to external services duplicate name

Hi there fellow GW admins!

The what:
The main issue here is that when you send e-mail from a resource to an external service it copies the resourcename into both first/lastname slots to the reciever. This doesn't really send a "professional" image from the source. I also know that this question was asked 2008 with "As designed" as answer but it's been 7 years and I figured someone must have raised the question during this time again?

The why:
We are actively trying to avoid creating users for group-accounts due to a license model that debit per user created in Novell. So I figured that using resources as shared inbox with a common name for the organization would be a great solution and it is, if it were not for this nasty little side-effect where the reciever gets the resourcename as both first and lastname.

Is there any chance this is going to be fixed because it feels like all you need is the option to add the variables as an option to a resource, GW already support the basic function for users so possibly adding the option for first/lastname on a resource seems doable but I could be way off on that one.

If not, does anyone else have a good workaround for shared e-mail that doesn't have a private account behind it?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
20 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Resources to external services duplicate name

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question.

Just to clarify something, you are using a Resource instead of individual mailboxes for the users on your system? If so, I believe [but stand to be corrected on this], that you are in contravention of your licensing agreement with Novell. Resources are designed to be either a Place or a Role not a "user" mailbox.

I will spend some time trying to get clarification on this issue for you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
PatPer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for a quick reply!

I've still fairly new to the Novell world so I'm probably the one that will be corrected for quite some time and was not aware of this. The followup question on the "Role" part to me would be, is it a license-violation to use a resource at all for external services or is it just the shared inbox part without a personal user associated?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

I am asking around in the backrooms of Novell for an answer on the licensing regarding Resources. I only expect an answer this afternoon due to time-zone differences.

In the interim, please clarify what you mean by "external services" - thanks in advance 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
PatPer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

By "external services" I mean any and all recievers that does not use GroupWise. Anything ranging from an exchange server to a gmail account.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Hmmm.... then we will have to wait on an official response from the kind folk at Novell. My understanding of the licensing agreement regarding Resources is that it does not represent a personal mailbox and that anyone accessing a Resource requires their own allocated GroupWise account/license.

I'll keep you updated when I hear anything back 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I've heard back.... you may not use a Resource as a shared mailbox. Doing so contravenes your license agreement with Novell.

Feel free to ask any further questions that you have here in the forums - we, the community, will always try to help out where we can.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
PatPer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Alright, thank you for all the information so far, I have but one tricky one left! 😉

If the license issues regarding shared inbox via a resource revolves around the users avoiding having a personal account it contradicts itself in that a user will not be able to log in via a resource alone but needs their own personal email account and from that add the resource after have been given access to it.

Else I may have misunderstood you. I'm gussing I'm slightly confused as to why it's even possible sending email via a resource to external email services if it is not allowed.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Resources are permitted to send out mail, appointments, etc as part of it's function e.g. accept/decline appointments - that is not the problem.

The problem is in using a Resource as a shared mailbox - that is not permitted.

Am I misunderstanding your question?
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
PatPer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm happy with all the answers I've gotten and you can mark this down as "solved" 🙂
I'll start working towards a new approach to how things are supposed to be done!

Kind regards
Patrik
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Patrik,

If licensing costs are the big factor here you can consider setting up these folk who do not currently have a GroupWise account as a "limited license" mailbox. This limits them to using only WebAccess, via an internet browser, to access their mailboxes. In other words they may not use the full GroupWise client. Limited License mailboxes attract a lower licensing cost - though I do not know the numbers - that you would have to discuss with your local Novell/MicroFocus representative.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
PatPer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well the license in itself may not even be the problem longterm. Every single user have a GW account already, but some groups also need to have an "official" box to send out errands from which several people use next to their personal account for business inquiries externally.

The next step for us here I guess is to remove resources that are being used as an "official" business inquiries to creating a shared Novell account that is bound to a GW account. In our environment we never create GW accounts manually, they are all created automatically when a normal Novell account is created so creating manual GW accounts is off the table.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Am 26.10.2015 um 14:16 schrieb PatPer:
>
> Well the license in itself may not even be the problem longterm. Every
> single user have a GW account already, but some groups also need to have
> an "official" box to send out errands from which several people use next
> to their personal account for business inquiries externally.
>
> The next step for us here I guess is to remove resources that are being
> used as an "official" business inquiries to creating a shared Novell
> account that is bound to a GW account. In our environment we never
> create GW accounts manually, they are all created automatically when a
> normal Novell account is created so creating manual GW accounts is off
> the table.
>
>

Licensing is a pretty complex topic. Are you using NOWS licensing for
instance? In that case things are different again.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Patrick,

If each individual already has a licensed GroupWise mailbox then you don't have a problem. As long as each person accessing/using the resource has their own mailbox then you are permitted to use a Resource as a "Role" (I think that would suit your needs). See, I was misunderstanding your question entirely - my apologies for that 😞

For example:

Human Resources department has a dedicated resource defined as a Role - call it HR@company.com
Each person working in HR has their own, personal, GroupWise account.
Grant each person PROXY rights to the Resource.
From their individual GroupWise client they can proxy into the resource and send out the necessary mail/appointment/etc.

Is this making sense to you?
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
PatPer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, this is exactly how it is being used today. The initial problem though is making it look a bit like spam/unprofessional since the resource name as in your example is named: "HR@company.com".

This means that if I send from this resource to an external part, let's say a gmail account, the reciever see the e-mail in the list as: "HR HR (HR@company.com)"
This because an external provider list first/lastname and because a resource only includes one ID/fullname it duplicates to both slots.

So you can see that if a shared resource have a longer name, this looks very odd to the customer, example: "Child Support and Care" "Child Support and Care" (ChildSupportandCare@company.com)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.