jthrumston
New Member.

Restoring a deleted users account

I am fairly new to GW admin, replacing our current admin. Laura if you see this, I am the guy Charlie Bristol spoke of.

Anyway,

I had to restore a couple of users. I followed the instructions we had to restore them.

I restored the wpdomain.db file to an off directory (/tmp/restore/)

In the GroupWise Administration console: Administration > System > Recover Deleted Account. Navigate to the folder where wpdomain.db was restored and select wpdomain.db.

Click the Account to Recover button and select the deleted account. This will restore the basic account information.

did that,

found the users ID (userxxx.db) restored that file directly back to its proper location. Stopped and started the POA services for that POA.

Then I did...
In the GroupWise Administration console: Administration > Post Office select the appropriate PO.
Click the Maintenance button and select Mailbox/Library Maintenance
Click the Maintenance on Post Office radio button
Check the Structure and Fix Problems check-boxes.
Uncheck the Content check-box.

Click OK to run GWCheck.

did this, saw the user was valid again via the gwcheck.

I also ran the users gwcheck as well.

The problem I am having is that all EXTERNAL email (from outside our domain) for this user, now looks like a sticky note and empty, no attachments, no content. The internal email seems fine. I had this happen to two real users and then I created a test user, and replicated all the steps, (deleting account, restoring etc). Same thing happened.
I even forwarded one of these sticky notes back to myself, it now shows as an email but also empty and no attachments.

All new email now coming in, is fine, no issues, its just the restored External email, Being one of these users is the HR manager, this is a big issue.

Does anyone have a solution? any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Restoring a deleted users account

Hello.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post.

After you have recovered the deleted account from the wpdomain.db you still need to do a full recovery of the email from a restore area. The userxxx.db does not hold the actual contents of the email. That is stored in the message database and larger stuff in the offiles directory. See here for the steps to follow immediately after the wpdomain.db recovery of the user account: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_restore_mailbox.html

This might be quite different to what you are accustomed to so please feel free to fire away all the questions 🙂

Welcome again 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
jthrumston
New Member.

laurabuckley;2461968 wrote:
Hello.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post.

After you have recovered the deleted account from the wpdomain.db you still need to do a full recovery of the email from a restore area. The userxxx.db does not hold the actual contents of the email. That is stored in the message database and larger stuff in the offiles directory. See here for the steps to follow immediately after the wpdomain.db recovery of the user account: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_restore_mailbox.html

This might be quite different to what you are accustomed to so please feel free to fire away all the questions 🙂

Welcome again 🙂

Cheers,

So, if I read that article about a restore space correctly, if I can get this to work (Charlie did not have good luck with trying it before he says) Then this would help me with future restores, not the current issue I am having with the restores I did already, correct?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Indeed, correct. If the user you recovered has already been receiving mail to revert and start again will result in data loss. Essentially after you've done a "recover user" from the wpdomain.db you do not then replace the userxxx.db with an older one. After you've recovered the user from the wpdomain.db you do a full mail recovery from the restore area. Please do let us know what issues you have with creating a restore area - we'll be glad to assist 🙂

Have a lovely day further.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
jthrumston
New Member.

What kind of data size are we talking about for creating a restore area? roughly speaking of course, Is it based off the size of something else?

Thank you so much for all your help so far.

John
0 Likes
jthrumston
New Member.

Also, is there no way to recover these external emails that we did restore? The ones like look like empty sticky notes now?

Because these 2 users are very high up the ladder, they are pressing very hard to recover these lost external emails.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi John,

A restore area is equal to a copy of your entire post office because that's exactly what it is. The only way I know of to back out of where you are now is to archive all the mail that has subsequently been received. Delete the account and start over.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
jthrumston
New Member.

Ok,

That gives me something to start with, probably be more questions to come, thank you again.

And I was afraid of that answer lol

John
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi John,

We, the community, are here to assist in any way we can 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

John,

Just a thought for after Laura helps you sort this out... Reload is a
great product for GroupWise backups. Makes backups and restores a
whole lot easier. You might want to look into it.
https://www.gwava.com/groupwise-disaster-recovery

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

If this post was helpful and you are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi John,

I'm posting again as I don't feel I gave you enough detail to work with and I apologise for that oversight.

Here's the steps I would follow to address the situation you find yourself in:

1. Setup a Restore Area from the backup most recent but prior to the account being deleted. https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_restore_mailbox.html
2. Ensure that your Restore Area is working correctly - try to restore a single email from it to double-check.
3. For the user concerned, setup an Archive local to their workstation. For some information on creating an archive see here: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_userwin/data/maintaining_archiving.html
4. Archive mail that has been received, only the new items, since the account was recovered. Do not archive the items from prior to the recovery.
5. Ensure that the user in question has logged out of GroupWise, Notify, WebAccess, etc.
6. If you are running GMS (syncing mailbox to mobile device) remove the user from GMS.
7. Once you are 100% sure that your Restore Area is working and all new items have been successfully archived, take the plunge and delete the account.
8. Ensure that this deletion has replicated throughout your system.
9. Recover the deleted account: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_restore_account.html
10. Initiate a full recovery of the items from the Restore Area: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_restore_mailbox.html#abfiqmc
11. This will recover all items for the user account present in the restore area.
10. Once the recovery has fully completed - check your POA log files for this information - you get the user to login to the GroupWise client and all their mail should be present in their mailbox.
11. If necessary add the user back to GMS.

I trust you will find this information useful. As always please don't hesitate to ask us for further assistance.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
MarkDissington Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

and step 12. If they archived items in step 4 they can then restore it so they have their stuff they received after the backup as well.

Mark.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mark,

Thank you - I forgot that step!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.